Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P-51s whistled too

I just finished reading drgondog's book, P51B Mustang, which has an extensive discussion of the development of the P51's Meredith effect radiator/oil cooler duct system. I couldn't help noticing it's resemblence to the business end of a wind instrument such as a penny whistle, recorder, or songflute (remember those from elementary school?). In this video the "whistle" seems to peak as the plane displays its belly turning away from the camera at the highest speed portion of the pass. I think Dutch and Ed and the boys may have created the ultimate winged pennywhistle.

Last edited:

Wasn't the sound from the supercharger and/or the holes for the machine guns?

Wasn't the sound from the supercharger and/or the holes for the machine guns?
Could be. Don't most civil Mustangs have sealed gun ports around dummy muzzles? And if supercharger, why does the whistle peak while turning away from the microphone? The supercharger is tucked in behind the engine, surrounded by plumbing, and in close proximity to propeller and exhaust noise. Seems dubious to me. I vote for the radiator.

Last edited:
I suspect it's the air flowing around/through the cooling inlets on various aircraft when they reach a certain speed.

One of the reasons why I am so fond of the "Whistling Shitcan" nickname, is because an old friend of mine dubbed my '68 Chevelle the "Whistling Shitcan" back in the 80's. It had a Hillborn fuel injected 502 cid big-block and cruising around 30-40 miles an hour, it would develop a whistle.
He was air-ops aboard the Carl Vincent for many years, so he had stories...

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1-acp.pdf

Corsair was certainly one of the great fighters of WW2, but it's climb rate was very mediocre. As this chart shows, climb rate at 20000ft was only about 1700fpm if not using water injection which was not available until 1944. Combat ceiling (1000fpm) was a very respectable 28000ft, so it could get to an acceptable altitude. And it was certainly fast.

Someone I knew, who flew P-3s also called the A3D "all three dead" and said it was almost impossible to for any of the crew to exit in flight. Once I was an observer on the USS Hancock for a week in 1960 and got to see A3Ds land. One pilot landed in a confident manner but another was obviously afraid and took two wave offs before ignoring a third an hooking up. Blew the tire on stbd main L/G and bent stbd wing tip but got it down.

I didn't see much of the A3D in there, but boy, that sure was a good recommendation you made here. What an informative vid.

Didn't look like anyone got out of the one A3D crash shown.
Which version did you see? Back in the day we had four different versions in our Aviation Training Aids film library, dating from different time periods, but each had at least one A3, and a couple had more. The one most commonly seen on YT dates from 1966-68, as it still shows Crusaders, has B model Phantoms, and IIRC, only one A7.
Prior to 1966 you'd see Skyraiders and perhaps F3s, Furies, Skyrays, and sundry other antiques, but no A6s or A7s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread