Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the manual for P-38, dated 1st August 1945:

forked.jpg

According to this, RR did not supply tolerances and Packard had to work them out on their own.
That would be a great read if it wasn't written with such a silly partisan point of view. It openly contradicts itself trying to present Packard as a business separate from government and RR as a puppet of the British government.

Fixed that for you.

Why is it so important for people from the USA that this myth is true. Does the fact that Packard license built a British engine (quite brilliantly I must add) upset people. Is the US phyche so fragile that at all costs the USA must be seen to be the best at everything.

The USA did many amazing things during WWII even when neutral they helped keep the flame of democracy burning. So why try and claim something that is demonstrably not true especially when five minutes online research will prove the falsehood.

You could try and blame Hollywood I suppose. The pile of steaming horse shit masquerading as a film U571 still makes my teeth grind.

Fixed that for you.

Why is it so important for people from the USA that this myth is true. Does the fact that Packard license built a British engine (quite brilliantly I must add) upset people. Is the US phyche so fragile that at all costs the USA must be seen to be the best at everything.

The USA did many amazing things during WWII even when neutral they helped keep the flame of democracy burning. So why try and claim something that is demonstrably not true especially when five minutes online research will prove the falsehood.

You could try and blame Hollywood I suppose. The pile of steaming horse shit masquerading as a film U571 still makes my teeth grind.
Since the whole thing is that Packard built Packards it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the only people to build Merlins built the best ones.

For anybody who has read Hookers autobiography the story about the Men from Ford and them wanting tighter tolerances is told as as Hooker getting a bit of a comeuppance.
The only reason he was involved in the conversation was that he shared an office with Lovesey and just happened to be there when the chief engineer from Ford wanted to talk to Lovesey.
He wasn't in charge of anything or responsible for anything to do with Ford preparing to make Merlin engines. He tells of his comment as himself being full of pride in working for Rolls Royce and getting a lesson in actual manufacturing.

This is the end of the story from page 59. after Ford undertook took to redo all the drawings.

"It took a year or so, but was an enormous success, because once the great Ford factory at Manchester started production, Merlins came out like shelling peas at a rate of 400 per week. And very good engines they were too, yet never have I seen mention of this massive contribution which the British Ford company made to the build-up of our air forces. "

The Autobiography was first published in 1984.

For anybody who has read Hookers autobiography the story about the Men from Ford and them wanting tighter tolerances is told as as Hooker getting a bit of a comeuppance.
The only reason he was involved in the conversation was that he shared an office with Lovesey and just happened to be there when the chief engineer from Ford wanted to talk to Lovesey.
He wasn't in charge of anything or responsible for anything to do with Ford preparing to make Merlin engines. He tells of his comment as himself being full of pride in working for Rolls Royce and getting a lesson in actual manufacturing.

This is the end of the story from page 59. after Ford undertook took to redo all the drawings.

"It took a year or so, but was an enormous success, because once the great Ford factory at Manchester started production, Merlins came out like shelling peas at a rate of 400 per week. And very good engines they were too, yet never have I seen mention of this massive contribution which the British Ford company made to the build-up of our air forces. "

The Autobiography was first published in 1984.
When did the conversation take place? So far all I have known is that it was someone from Ford, but RR were also in discussions with Ford in France for license production and Ford in USA too.

RE post #106. I disagree with you FM, I have posted previously most folks I know hold Rolls Royce in VERY high regard.
There are people who won't believe anything not built here could be better. I had that attitude myself a few years ago. Those guys will post on various sites and "prove" they're right. They're really a minority. Problem is, there will be a higher percentage of people posting who are nutters IMO. They're as embarrassing to me as they are annoying to you.
Yes, U571 was pure crap. The critics here panned it. It was mentioned that "Cousins" really captured the enigma device. Hey, they were trying to sell popcorn not knowledge. Most people didn't care. It was just escapist fantasy.
The P-80 can't take the 262. Bummer. I moved on.... and if the name plate says Spitfire it's a Spitfire!!!!

Fixed that for you.

I think you answered your question in your own post. It's a combination of psych, ego, hollywood and overcompensation for other areas. There is part of the population not thinking everything USA is the greatest or the "best of the best" is un-American, un-patriotic and you should get out of the country.

This obviously does not apply to true historical scholars, or hobbiest people who truly research the subject, most people on this site. I think for the most part, these idiots that you refer to are a minority. Minorities are always the loudest.

Last edited:
I think you answered your question in your own post. It's a combination of psych, ego, hollywood and overcompensation for other areas. There is part of the population not thinking everything USA is the greatest or the "best of the best" is un-American, un-patriotic and you should get out of the country.

Yet a great many Americans equate a "Bristish accent" with high IQ and competence.
Why Do British Accents Sound Intelligent to Americans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back