Green camo color for the P-40 Flying Tiger.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I mixed some brown with the sand and got a color close to what you just posted Wurger. It may be a shade or two brighter but it's no longer sand and definitely darker. As far as green the many different images of P-40 flying tigers I see look to have all different shades of green. some of more of a drab color then others.

Here are all the colors of green that I have.

Green Drab - 1787
Imp Jap Army Green - 2114
Imp Jap Army Navy green - 2116
Medium green - 1713
Olive drab - 1711
Dark Drab - 2026

Out of these green colors, which mix do you think would be around the color I am looking for in the green camo?

I know it's a bit of a complicated mass of colors I gave you, I was just wondering if you could think of a combo out of these.

I think the mix of the MM1713 with the MM2016 might be fine. Start with 50/50 ratio. You should get a mixture similar to this tonality ....

10593.jpg

The grey colour on undersides should be the MM1733 - Camouflage Grey or the MM1730 - Flatt Gull Grey or the MM1729 - Gloss Gull Grey.

Where do we get the definitive information that the undersides were grey? According to the RAF paint specs at the time of the order, upper surfaces were Dark Earth and Dark Green with Sky for the undersides. Du Pont 71-021 was supposedly a close-ish match for Sky but it certainly wasn't a grey shade being far more blue-green in tone.

I don't think we can find out how the colour looked like. But check the link above in post #2. In my opinion the guy is right. The RAF Sky S-type was a paint of greenish tonality while the Dupont 71-021 was a grey colour of bluish hue rather.And could be an equivalent for Duck Egg Blue methinks.

Hey Wurger, I went to the hobby shop and picked up the two original colors you suggested. I mixed it to the 2 to one ratio and used it. I'm letting it dry overnight.

UGH. I don't think I did the sticky tack and paper method right. A lot of spray went under the paper.

No need to panic. I spent the TEDIOUS time masking the green with sliced tiny pieces of masking tape to make smooth curves over the green I painted, and repainted the light brown.

Waiting for that to dry to save the debacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back