Greetings From a Noob.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Welcome aboard, Sid, from the green mountains of Vermont. (Sometimes mistaken for a county in upstate New York, or northern New Hampshire, depending on your perspective.)
You'll be a welcome addition to our diverse pantheon of expertise.
Cheers,
Wes

Welcome aboard, Sid, from the green mountains of Vermont. (Sometimes mistaken for a county in upstate New York, or northern New Hampshire, depending on your perspective.)
You'll be a welcome addition to our diverse pantheon of expertise.
Cheers,
Wes

Thank you Wes,

I don't know if I'll be anywhere near as accomplished as some of the ''anoraks'' on here!.... [Anorak (slang) - Wikipedia]

But appreciate your thoughts :)

Steve.

Welcome Sid, as a past professional passenger of angry palm trees and other such military helicopters and aircraft, I have to say there was never a more heartening sound than the in-comming growl of Hueys approaching an LZ.

Welcome Sid, as a past professional passenger of angry palm trees and other such military helicopters and aircraft, I have to say there was never a more heartening sound than the in-comming growl of Hueys approaching an LZ.

Thanks Mungo60.

The company I worked for (2001-2018) had a contract to supply three Bell 212's (twin Hueys) to Afghanistan (2009 and again 2012 & 2013). The reaction from everybody, but especially the older guys when we were working there was a good memory.

Steve.

Attachments

• A6-BBK Ldg FOB Walton_1.MOV
    3.8 MB · Views: 144
Great vid there Sid, that pilot was really swinging her around with confidence. I think that was one of the "hallmarks" of the Huey.

Great vid there Sid, that pilot was really swinging her around with confidence. I think that was one of the "hallmarks" of the Huey.

There was about a 30knot wind at FOB Walton and you did not make a habit of doing the obvious.
I didn't know the military guys were videoing my approach until we caught up later in the day when I landed back at Walton for the night. :)

Last edited:
There was about a 30knot wind and FOB Walton and you did not make a habit of doing the obvious.
I didn't know the military guys were videoing my approach until we caught up later in the day when I landed back at Walton for the night. :)
Was that at a high field elevation? (I'm wondering if that approach was done to keep the T/R happy. Although I'd find it hard to believe you could run out of Q in a Bell 212!)

Was that at a high field elevation? (I'm wondering if that approach was done to keep the T/R happy. Although I'd find it hard to believe you could run out of Q in a Bell 212!)

Hello jetcal1.
Max side-wind component for the B212/B412 was/is 17knots at MSL to 3000' DA.
FOB Walton* (and Kandahar) are around 3,400' above MSL.
Keeping the nose of the aircraft (when in the latter stages of a transition to a hover/landing) between 10 and 2 o' clock is kind of important for your health.
*FOB Walton was closed some years ago, It was located about 8nm NW of Kandahar AFB/airport.

I'm no fan of the RAF mentality but at CFS when I went through a QHI course they hammered into you that you can do any kind of approach profile you like but when at 30 KIAS and below you MUST have the relative wind within 30 degrees either side of the nose and have a ROD of 300'/min or less.

You can do a blind landing in zero viz (e.g. fog) following this procedure (reducing ground speed slowly to around 10-15knots and keeping an eye on your radalt) and the heli will just 'thud' onto the ground firmly and safely with no damage (preferably an open level grass area).

This was golden advice and ignoring it is one of the main reasons there are so many heli accidents, because people ignore this simple rule (maybe because they were never taught). Respect the wind.

Birds never land out of wind and they've been flying a lot longer than my meagre 38 years.

Cheers, Steve. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back