Greg B's Bloody Shambles Collection

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greg Boeser

1st Sergeant
Jul 29, 2016
Minnesota
I have for many years had a fascination with the early air war in the Pacific/South East Asia theaters. I've started picking up 1/72 kits for the combatants, and thought I might post my progress as I go along. My first subject is the Airfix 1/72 Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2. This is a straight OOB build, using a variety of Tamiya, Testors Model Master, and Vallejo paints.
My skills are primative and rusty, so be kind.

The show so far:
I bought this kit at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago and built it to it's current state before letting it languish.
The major assembly is finished. Just needs paint and the final fiddly bits.
The big hold up was choosing the right colors for the model. I found the Vallejo US Army Air Corps CBI paint set at Hobby Lobby, and they gave me the 40% discount. Score!
1000000523.jpg

I use a wide brush for the base. Usually looks good after 2-3 coats. It's the camo pattern that gets a bit blobby as I try to trace the outline with a thin brush, then try to fill in.
Thanks for the tip, George. I am even cheaper and use old yogurt lids.

I go over mine with matt varnish thinned with a little bit of turps, it takes most of the brush marks out.

Nice to see you having a crack at a great theme, we all seem to have one or two to work on. Good tips on hand painting as well, I gave up with the brush a long time ago and only use it for little pieces and detail. :thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back