The 46 Squadron 100th Anniversary Collection. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As most of you know, back in November of last year, I was asked by Group Captain Dougie Barr, the 46 Sqn RFC & RAF Association Secretary, if it would be possible to borrow my 1/32nd scale model of the Beaufighter, which I built, in the Squadron's markings, back in 2009 for the MTO Group Build.
As this was required for the Squadron's 100th Consecutive Re-Union Dinner, an auspicious event if ever there was one, I decided to donate the model to the Squadron Association and, having been informed that they also needed a Mosquito, Stirling and Meteor in order to complete the 'line-up' of models of every type the Squadron flew, I agreed that I would also build these, and donate them to the Association too.
So, since November last year, I have been virtually 'full time', working all hours of the day and night, trying to battle against numerous delays and problems, building the models to an ever-tightening deadline, in order to deliver them in time for the event, which takes place this Saturday, June 3rd, at the Officer's Mess at RAF Benson, in Oxfordshire.
The final model, the 1/48th scale A.W. Meteor NF.12, was only completed at around 23.30 hrs on Tuesday and this, along with the Beaufighter F.VI, Mosquito NF.XII and Stirling Mk.V, were delivered to Dougie yesterday evening, and I got back home late this afternoon, after a round trip of 340 miles in the 'Tin Tent', tired, but relieved that I was able to complete the models on time, and deliver them safely, without even the slightest damage.

The Squadron is the only squadron in the RFC / RAF, to hold an annual re-union dinner, every year, without fail, for the past 99 years, with this year being the 100th annual event. The first such re-union dinner came about when the then Squadron CO, Major (later Air Marshall Sir Phillip) Babington, having returned to the front after a short spell of leave following the month known as 'Bloody April' in 1917, when life expectancy of an RFC pilot could be measured in days, if not hours, told his chaps that, if any of them survived, they could celebrate at his Bachelor party in London the following year. This they did, on 11th February 1918, the day before Maj. Babington got married.
It was at this 'binge' that it was agreed that the Squadron should meet every year, and the first Re-union took place just five months later, on 15th July 1918.

Since forming as Fighter squadron in April 1916, flying the Nieuport, BE2c, Sopwith Pup and Camel, the Squadron disbanded in December 1919, but re-formed in 1936, with the Gloster Gauntlet II, before re-equipping with Hurricane Mk1s in February 1939, taking these to Norway from May to June 1940, and losing its aircraft on the return, when the aircraft carrier HMS Glorious, onto the deck of which the Hurricanes had flown (despite the lack of arrester hooks !), was sunk by German battle cruisers. The Squadron was operational again by the end of June, and moved south from Digby, to Duxford, on 18th August , taking part in the Battle of Britain, and it remained mainly in the south of England after the Battle, until December 1940 to July 1941, when the Hurricane MkIIa and MkIIc were operated by the Squadron, first in the UK, and then, from June 1941, on Malta, before a move to Egypt, where a lack of aircraft saw the ground personnel acting as a maintenance unit, until May 1942, when based at Idku, the Squadron was absorbed as a detachment of 89 Sqn, with Beaufighters, and became a night fighter unit, and also patrolled over coastal shipping and the coast of Egypt, by day and by night.
Intruder missions were then flown, over the Greek islands and the eastern Mediterranean, from August 1943, with some Mosquito NF.XIIs arriving in July 1944, operating until December of that year, when the Squadron returned to the UK, reforming again, in January 1945, as a Transport squadron, operating first the Stirling Mk.V, and then the Dakota C.4 (C-47), the latter being used on the Berlin Airlift, and flown until February 1950, when the Squadron again disbanded.
No. 46 Squadron returned in a night fighter role, when it re-formed again in August 1954, at Odiham, flying the Meteor NF.12 and NF.14, and was then the first squadron in the RAF to equip with the Javelin 'all weather' fighter, which it operated from March 1956 until June 1961, when it once again disbanded.
Re-forming for the last time in December 1966, the Squadron then flew the HS Andover C.1 tactical transport, operating from Abingdon and Thorney Island, where it disbanded for the final time on 31st August 1975, the aircrew being dispersed to other transport units, mainly those operating the C-130 Hercules.
By sheer coincidence, the one and only jump I ever did from an Andover (it was normally Argosy and Hercules), was in Germany, from Fassberg, back in October 1973, and Dougie Barr was the Navigator on the Op !!

Saturday 3rd June sees former squadron members gathering at RAF Benson for the 100th annual re-union dinner, and the oldest member of the Squadron Association attending will be a former Short Stirling pilot, who is now 97 years old !
I've asked Dougie to let me know what this gentleman veteran thinks of my model (!), and Dougie has also promised to send me some photos of the models on display, which I'll post in this thread when I get back from the trip to Holland next week (Karl and I fly out tomorrow, and will be meeting up with Marcel for the Oostwold airshow, and also with Sander, for a tour of the Arnhem battlefields). I'll also post some pics of the rather nice 46 Squadron souvenirs which Dougie gave me, on behalf of the Squadron, as I am unable to attend the dinner due to the Holland trip.
Meanwhile, the four models which I have donated to the Squadron Association are shown below, with the 1/32nd scale Beaufighter being based on the old Revell kit, with full scratch-built interior and all hatches opened up (also scratch-built), and the Mosquito NF.XII being a conversion from the Tamiya 1/48th scale kit, using a resin nose from 'Freightdog Models'.
The Short Stirling Mk.V was converted from the venerable (51 years old !) Airfix 1/72nd scale kit, with a resin conversion set from Magna Models, and the A.W. Meteor NF.12 is a 'semi' conversion, using the Classic Airframes 1/48th scale kit of the NF.11 / NF.13, with only the nose being altered, and the fillets added to the fin.
As the deadline for delivery drew ever closer, and the pressure of work increased ( sometimes 22 hours per day !), the standards started to slip and, if I was going to do these again, without the time restraint, I'm sure I'd make a better job, particularly with the Stirling and the Meteor.
But Dougie Barr was more than delighted with the models, and has assured me that members of the 46 Squadron Association will also be very appreciative, so that's good enough for me !!

46 Sqn Anniversary models 001.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 008.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 028.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 038.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 041.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 035.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 135.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 137.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 061.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 066.JPG

Thanks very much indeed chaps - glad you like them, and thanks for the 'Winner' and 'Bacon' accolades too !

Andy, I very nearly had a 'snifter' from the most excellent bottle of wine presented to me by Dougie (the same as being served at the dinner), but apart from the fact I have to be up and about soon after the sparrows finish their very noisy morning pre-flight inspections, the wine deserves to be savoured in comfort, without rush, so I'll save it for when I get back.
It really was a great relief to hand over the models intact, and on time, and Dougie was extremely appreciative, more so in an e-mail he sent me this evening, after a closer inspection, particularly of the Beaufighter.

Michael, the Beau is certainly the best of the bunch, as far as overall 'quality' is concerned, and I'd forgotten just how big it is in 1/32nd scale, and how much work I'd put into it, scratch-building the entire interior on what was a good, but very basic kit, dating from the late 1960s (and recently re-released again). The full build can be seen in the first MTO Group Build, and I was fortunate enough to gain the 'Member's Choice' award for this model, although the award 'icon' disappeared from below my 'siggy' when there was a change to the forum format some time ago.
As I've now permanently donated this to the 46 Sqn Association, perhaps I should do another one for myself - especially as I still have the original display base, complete with genuine Sahara sand !

Weird, I tried last night and this morning to post and I got the Firefox treatment, a nice little box to type in the comment but not the ability to type in the comment. Anyhoo.......a belated congrats on getting the job done in the nick 'o time Terry. I'm sure they were greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much guys.
I haven't heard from Dougie yet, as he knew I'd be away in Holland this week, but he'll be sending pics of the models at the dinenr, so I'll post them when received, along with some of the stuff he gave me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back