Greta Shot of a P-40F Cockpit In N Africa (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Pilot was Jazz Jaslow. Note how the Left side panel is hinged so it can be opened to provide a means of escape if the canopy jams.

P-40FJazzJaslow.jpg

AFAIK this was a standard feature on all P-40 types. I remember discussing the small latch on the outside, used in case of a crash landing or turnover.
Usually one can find the description of this emergency panel in the pilot instructions.

Attachments

• P-40 cockpit emergency.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Tomahawk1 cockpit emergency.pdf
    164.6 KB · Views: 2
AFAIK this was a standard feature on all P-40 types.
I have a book with a picture of an RAF Tomahawk I bellied in, with that side panel opened, and was surprised when I saw that. I had never seen a good enough picture of the canopy to show that hinge and the release lever on the bottom frame. Note that it allows a person on the outside to open that panel.

I have a book with a picture of an RAF Tomahawk I bellied in, with that side panel opened, and was surprised when I saw that. I had never seen a good enough picture of the canopy to show that hinge and the release lever on the bottom frame. Note that it allows a person on the outside to open that panel.
As I mentioned before I knew about it, but haven't seen a photo with an open hatch after a crash. You can try finding photos of pilots in the cockpit (usually official USAAF photos - NARA, Fold3) where this exterior latch and the piano-hinge are visible. Like these examples:
65a.jpg

P-40F overpainted with sand.jpg

And one more photo from my private collection - Airshow Hamilton, Ontario, Canada 20. June 2010:
100_3011.JPG

Cheers!

I don't believe that hinged panel was for emergency egress as it was pretty small. It is called a clear view panel on the Curtiss drawings and the Republic P-47 had a similar setup also called a clear view panel. I believe it was a pilot-operated vent to let fresh air in to clear condensation from inside the windshield, or just as a source of fresh air. These pics show the dimensions of a P-40 clear view panel.

Attachments

• 1_a18b99785ced78afd008a01491eefaa2 (1).jpg
    1_a18b99785ced78afd008a01491eefaa2 (1).jpg
    243 KB · Views: 1
  • 1_a18b99785ced78afd008a01491eefaa2 (2).jpg
    1_a18b99785ced78afd008a01491eefaa2 (2).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back