Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airplane is based virtually word for word on Zero Hour
Zero Hour in turn is based on Flight into Danger, a CBC made for TV movie staring James Doohan in the Ted Stryker Type role.
If you don't know who James Doohan is……..

And that is all related to the novel version of Zero Hour, which is Runway Zero-Eight, also by Arthur Hailey. Zero-Eight was the first of the family that I read / saw, but the family resemblance is immediate when you look at Zero Hour, Flight into Danger, Runway Zero-Eight, Terror in the Sky, Airplane, etc. And even a little bit of Airport.

So Hailey came up with the general story line and ended up doing several books/shorts based on it, and several screenplays.

Just doing my part to get to 200.

T!

I'm not sure what configuration your Kingairs had, but the ones I worked on required the galley and cockpit dividers to be removed in order to slide the cockpit seats out of the seat rails.
Almost done. To get the cockpit dividers out, you first had to remove the forward row of seats.
BUT, to do that, it meant sliding them as far aft as possible to get room between the seat skirt and cockpit divider, to expose the seat rail enough to pop the seat out. Every little task always seemed to be a struggle with those things.
And then there is the damned bathtub fitting inspection and torque check, which sucked, or trying to secure the bladder tank in the nacelle. The damned clips where ALWAYS just out of reach, unless you were King Kong.
Sorry, rant more or less over.

Trust me, I am aware. I've worked on probabky a hundred King Airs. Once I became a lead and inspector I left the jobs like cockpit seat removals to the newer green A&Ps. Let them pay their dues.

Overall though, I loved working on the King Air. Its a well built aircraft.

1900Ds have a lot more room than a King Air 350. Its much easier to remove the cockpit seats in a 1900D.
Never been inside a D, but in our Bs and Cs removing cockpit seats was apparently no big deal, as the guys got it done pretty quickly. Our seats were not the palatial thrones you see in high end corporate King Airs. Think C47 passenger seats.

Last edited:
In a forward entryway 1900 it's so much easier. Nothing jammed up against the cockpit dividers and no need to remove them.

Users who are viewing this thread