Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Allied intel about German movements in France immeadiately prior to D-Day was excellent. The French resistance provided extreme detail. If the Panzer's had positioned themselves as you say, they would have immeadiately become prime targets for massive allied bombing.

As for those roads... Allied fighter bombers would have wiped out any Panzer's moving along them during the day, and probably they would have dropped motion sensitive bombs all along the roads to prevent German tank movements to Normandy. The smart thing to do was to hold them back where they were realtively safe form Allied bombing and the number of alternative routes to wherever the invasion was were much larger.

However... when the invasion started the tanks had to roll. They didn't and even if they'd have been where you say, they'd still have been fixed in position until Hitler woke from his post drug binge drug induced sleep to release them.

I really think that had the Panzers been stationed near the coast within Spitfire range, and within the heavy loaded range of the B-17 and Lancaster, they'd have been wiped out long before the invasion by massive carpet bombing.

=S=

Lunatic

You think so, huh? The Panzers would have been wiped out during the day, just like the 21st Panzer Division was wiped out on 6th June when moving to the beaches?

The tanks would mostly have been stationed up near Calaise, where the invasion was expected. They could certainly have been ordred to hold that position. Hitler's orders would still have been in effect, the tanks would have stayed where they were.

See, that is where you're wrong. The idea, of Guderian, was not to send all 10 Divisions to Calais. He said all 10 Divisions had to have access to the coast road. This meant they would be station all along the northern coast, CAPABLE of reacting to the situation with speed as it came.

plan_D said:
You think so, huh? The Panzers would have been wiped out during the day, just like the 21st Panzer Division was wiped out on 6th June when moving to the beaches?

Between June 6th and June 8th 1944, 54 of 124 PzKw IV's had been lost to allied air attacks. By August 1 they were down to 42 vehicles (all tanks?). They didn't make contact with troops until August 10th. By Aug. 25th they were down to 12 tanks.

Had they been moved up prior to D-Day, they'd have been primary targets, and many would have been lost before the invasion even started.

=S=

Lunatic

You think 21st Panzer Division was only equipped with Pz. IVs? And 12 tanks due to losses beyond air attacks. Maintenance and enemy ground action. Do you honestly believe all 10 Panzer Divisions could have been wiped out?

But by your own argument not all 10 panzer divisions would have had to have been wiped out, at least not all at once. With the panzers spread out all along the coast of France only a franction of that force would have been able to react immediatedly. And there was no way Hitler was moving anything out of the Calais area.

plan_D said:
You think 21st Panzer Division was only equipped with Pz. IVs? And 12 tanks due to losses beyond air attacks. Maintenance and enemy ground action. Do you honestly believe all 10 Panzer Divisions could have been wiped out?

No other tank types were listed in the commander's report.

I think they could have been very seriously hurt. The German's had no idea how long it might be before the Allies invaded, and stationing large numbers of tanks within 5 miles of the coast would have subjected them to constant air attacks. Let's say they'd moved the tanks up in early April... that would have given Allied airpower 2 months to work on them. Then, when the invasion did come, they'd have been heading along those coastal roads, prime targets for Allied air strikes.

All I'm saying is that puttining the tanks near the coast would have probably improved the German defense much less than was originally implied. Those forces that were within 20-25 miles of the invasion beaches might have had some significant impact, those that were further away probably would not have. And most of those forces would undoubtedly have been deployed up in Calaise, not down in Normandy.

Besides, according to what I've read (which is still minimal), it was Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt that wanted to hold German forces in a central position, not Rommel.

=S=

Lunatic

The Panzere were under direct control from Hitler. He was reluctant and the fact that Rommel was on leave did not help the situation.

Here is some of the mistakes made and the Panzer divisions are listed in them:

Here is an arguement that states that it was Rundstedt who wanted the Panzers to be kept in reserve:

And just to clarify things here is the breakdown of some of the Panzer divisions in Normandy:

I believe the 2nd, 9th, and 10th SS Panzer Divisions were also somewhere in France during the invasion.

Who said about putting them there in April?

On 6th June, 1944 - 48 Infantry Divisions. 10 Panzer and panzergrenadier Divisions.
1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte 'Adolf Hitler'
2nd Panzer Division in Amiens - Abbeville
116th Panzer Division east of Rouen
12th SS Panzer Division Hitler Jugend in Lisieux
21st Panzer Division in Caen area
Panzer Lehr Division in Le Mans-Orleans
17th SS Panzergrenadier Division in Saumur
11th Panzer Division in Bordeaux
2nd SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich' in Tolouse
9th Panzer Division in Nimes-Arles

"No matter how one may admire the great exertions made, it is nevertheless a matter of considerable regret that Rommel failed to understand the need for possessing mobile reserves. A large scale land operation - which in view of our hopeless inferiority on the sea and in the air offered us the only chance of success - he held to be impossible and he therefore neither wanted nor tried to organise one" Heinz Guderian - 1957 - Inspector of Armoured Forces and head of OKH.

It also mentions that Rommel believed the only landing place was going to be North of the Somme. He made no preparations for any other alternative landing sites, Guderian urged him to think differently.

plan_D said:
Who said about putting them there in April?

When you say they should have been forward deployed prior to D-day you must pick a date well before D-day. The German's had no idea when the invasion might be. It could have been in May, it could have been in June, or it might have been in Sept.

The point is, whenever they were "moved up", the Allies would have known about it and known exactly where they were and planned accordingly. The huge advantage of good intel vs. bad intel, and total air superiority.

=S=

Lunatic

Sorry to bring You the disappointement.

Prime Minister Winston Churchill to Parliament: "It is the Russian Army that has done the main work of ripping the guts out of the German Army . . . :

When Germans started Barbarossa they had 3 miilion solidiers in that operation. I could not think what those trained troops had done in Normandy. Hollywood bullshit have created totally wrong picture of WWII

Russian front was the bitter front where the German force was killed. US has all the golry, buth in eastenf forn all of the US casualties suffered in whole war was happenig in single battle.

Petsajakilu

No it was Hitler that ripped the guts out of Wehrmacht by invading Russia. He should have left the Russians alone atleast until he was done with the British. What I dont understand is how you can say the US suffered all its casualties in a single battle. They fought North Africa, they fought in Italy, they fought in Normandy, The Netherlands, the rest of France, Belgium, and Germany just to name some of the places in Europe. There were thousands of battles fought and that does not include the air war, thousands of Americans lost there lives in the air war. The victory in Europe owes a lot to everyone, the US, England and the Commonwealths, Russia and many more.

I am curious if Pert thinks the Soviets could have continued to stand up to the Wermacht if German industry wasn't being pounded to ruins? Or if the Luftwaffe wasn't required to base countless fighter units in France to fight off the American and British bombers? And if the Russians were doing so well, why was Staling screaming for a second front?

Ahem... Sorry my wording was very bad! These damned electrical forums. I rarely wrote forums like this and it is sooo easy to sound rude. I apologize my previous post. Let try it again.

Imortance of Russian front is many times ignored when talking about WWII. If we look at war movies or TV it never existed ( few exeptions ). Many people live in believe that western allies did all the important job. US forces did a lot in europe but the meat grinder was in eastern front. In my opinion most of the really critical battles were fought there. In single battle there could be casualties what were equal at size what were whole US losses in second world war. By the time of Normandy German was beaten and quality of its troops were rapidly decreasing.

I doubt that in US public opinion in would have accepted losses of million or more men. And that it would have been without Russian front. It would have been job for an A-bomb like in Japan.

Ex Natzi generals often accuse Hitler of loosing war but that is only excuse for defending themselves.

Pertsajakilu

Dont worry Pertsajakilu, you did not sound rude and no offense was taken. I agree the Ost Front was a meat grinder and that the Wehrmacht as a whole was decreasing in quality by the time Normandy cam but 5 years of fighting will do that to you. However if the Germans had been able to concentrate there whole efforts on the Russians, Russia would not have stood a chance. As for the Nazi Generals, yes they have a pivotal role in the defeat of Germany but Hitler pretty much sealed Germanys fate.

UMmmmmmm.....
In single battle there could be casualties what were equal at size what were whole US losses in second world war.
Do u have any idea what u are saying????? The #'s involved here???

What would have happened if the Allies never landed on Europe?
Could the Russians take out the Germans - and conquer Europe themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread