Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Eagle Squadrons formed in September 1940, that is after the BoB. I've read in several places that only 7 Americans actually served on frontline service during the brunt of the BoB.
The problem with people like you, RG, is that you assume Europeans try to discredit Americans for their bravery when this is obviously not true. What Europeans try and do is beat Hollywood and let people know the Europeans fought too!

Yes, Plan_D is absolutely correct. The Eagle Squadrons you listed RG were AFTER the BoB. There were a grand total of 7 AMericans in the BoB. We have plenty of other reasons to be proud of. I did not want people to focus on the Americans in the BoB because the contribution, while important is but a tiny fraction of the effort. The focus should be on the RAF, they were the ones that did the fighting and dying. We did not put any focus on nationalities, but the efforts of the British high command and the RAF as a whole. There is already way too much emphasis on the US efforts here with very little shown about the other countries that were involved. Our goal is to provide the facts without favoritism or slant. Focusing on the US, Polish or any of the host of others for that battle shows favoritism that is not warranted. Everyone who served in the RAF for the BoB did a tremendous job, regardless of nationality. End of story.

You may want to check your facts before you accuse me of historical revisionism.

Again, thanks. We try to be balanced and unbiased at our museum and I think we are doing a good job of it. We do have an English (Spitfire Mk. XIV) and an A6M3 Zeke in our stable. We were supposed to get an Me-109, but it got sold, unfortunately. The guy that owned it and the Hurricane sold them both at the same time. We never got the 109 in because the owner was scared to death to fly it. Amazing that someone can spend that much money on something and be afraid of it!

Okay, I can accept that. Sorry, I was mistaken.

=S=

Lunatic

Okay, it is a common misconception that there were many Americans in the BoB. Before I started the display project, I though there were more as well. Then I discovered it was only 7. That is when I thought that we should just focus on the RAF, regardless of nationality. It seems more balanced to me and people can take it for what it was, a great battle fought by brave men. Brave warriors come from all over and bravery doesnt not have geographical boundaries.

evangilder said:
Brave warriors come from all over and bravery doesnt not have geographical boundaries.

Very well said, I dont think it could be said better than that. WW2 was fought by many brave men and one can not single out anyone because they are from a single nation no matter how small it was. A lot of people forget this but what they do not realize is that all the nations relied on each other and they all contributed to the victory.

Attachments

• 22.gif
    22.gif
    60.8 KB · Views: 468
Yes, I don't quite get that one either...why not the...erm...ah...help me out here...ah, Chileans flag would be more suitable.

I'm glad the 101st US Airborne commander told De Gaulle to piss off! That twat wanted to be the first into the Eagles Nest, 101st weren't having any of it. The US Divisions should have done that to Paris too.

Frances mere existance meant Germany would have to waste time invading them before they got to us...they gave us "a bit" more time to prepare

well even then in was british soldiers of the BEF that won us the most time................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back