Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm guessing you kind of already know.
I could look it up, I do know that the Battle of Britain was started before either side had it, but the Germans had more need for it they were most likely to run out of fuel. There was an issue with the RAF shooting down rescue planes. The Germans also had tethered buoys that a pilot could get into off the French coast.

If there was no German air superiority over the Channel, why were the Merchant Fleet and the RN expelled from the Channel ?On 8 August even the coastal traffic in the Channel was stopped .In July and August 1940 the LW did sink 35 British merchant vessels ( 100000 GRT ) in the Home Waters ( Eagle in Flames P 43 )
Til August 19 British fighters attacked the LW over the Channel when it came back from mission as did the LW 3 years later when BC returned to Britain .

A long way divided by two,because the aircraft had to retrurn to Britain .

You need to look up the definition of air superiority. The Luftwaffe also dropped bombs on British cities. Does that mean the Luftwaffe had air superiority over the UK? Just because ships were sunk and measures were taken to protect coastal traffic does not imply the Luftwaffe had air superiority.

Last edited:
You dont understand the term air superiority and supremacy, how many planes did the LW lose to achieve that? If the Germans had Air Superiority how come the RAF were destroying landing barges and shooting down rescue planes. Dowding didnt want to trade boats for planes and pilots.

Until late August,the British had no air-sea rescue operation.( Eagle in Flames P 16 )

Again, that's just not true. The British failure was a lack of integration between the various organizations that were involved in rescue at sea, which included the RNLI and even down to local fishing boats. It certainly was suboptimal and resulted in more aircrew dying than perhaps should have done...but that still doesn't equate to "no air-sea rescue operation."

Since I can't access my books easily, I checked on the internet (Not Wiki) and found Iceland was occupied against invasion by 30,000 British troops and U.S. Marines. Hardly enough to recapture a captured Britain or invade Europe. The reason the Marines were called was because Britain needed her troops back. The total max at the high point of occupation was 30,000 combined men.

The Shetlands also had a garrison of about 20,000

A long way divided by two,because the aircraft had to retrurn to Britain .
Divided by two?? Where did you learn about gliding? A clean monoplane like a Spit or a Hurri should have glide ratio of about 12-15:1. Let's say 13 just for grins. Out of fuel at 25,000 feet, and let's say lose 500 feet in the turn back home, and we want to cross the English coast at 2500 feet to reach an airfield, so that we have 22,000 feet or 4.16 miles of altitude to glide off. 4.16 times 13 = 54.17 miles gliding range to cross the coast at 2500 feet. How wide is the Channel on the track LW typically used?

Thanks I always wondered how far away from UK a P-51 could run out of fuel and glide in.

Much of the talk of air sea rescue ignores the important issues. The German planes were equipped with inflatable life rafts, and they did have some float planes and e boats to perform rescues. They needed them, on the Hardest day The Hardest Day - Wikipedia There were almost 1000 sorties by the LW across the Channel, very few by the RAF, most combat over water was in the Thames estuary.
RAF lost 27-34 planes in combat 10 pilots killed 11 wounded too severely to return to combat in the BoB itself. =21
LW lost circa 70 aircraft 134 killed or captured with 25 wounded =159

On 15 September Battle of Britain Day - Wikipedia
RAF 40 destroyed or damaged 30 killed or wounded 1 captured =31
LW 80 destroyed or damaged 146 killed or captured 21 missing 31 wounded =198

If you were shot down over water you had only a 20% chance of surviving, Air sea rescue efforts at the time only improved that slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread