Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, have you read any of them or just parsed them for the quotes you need.

So I'm guessing that the Soviet Union needed a lot of trucks to supply its troops as well. If only the Soviet Union could have leased or be loaned trucks from somewhere. The EAllies might have won.
They could have used some locomotives too, but who made locos and trucks at the time. The pipe mill I worked at in Russia was at a site that made railway wagon wheels, for the whole of Russias railways, Ive never seen so many fffing wheels in my life, incredible.

That picture made me very nostalgic. Looks like one of the floors at the Hillside maintenance facility of the LIRR.

So I'm guessing that the Soviet Union needed a lot of trucks to supply its troops as well. If only the Soviet Union could have leased or be loaned trucks from somewhere. The EAllies might have won.
You are comparing apples and oranges : the oil that was needed in Germany is not the same as the oil that the Red Army needed. Trucks were used for short distances only and needed roads .
The oil used by the economy in Germany was transported by rail and by waterways,because these were more efficient than trucks . The oil of the Red Army was transported by the Russian rail,almost to the front and not by trucks because of the distances and the almost total shortage of decent roads in the USSR .
The roads in Germany were better but still worse than the waterways and railways . One example : it would be stupid to transport the crude oil produced in NW Germany to the Ruhr or to Silesia by truck: a truck could transport some 3 ton,a train 400 ton,and ships 800 ton .
The Soviets also used trains to send oil to the front and to the plants .

The sun does not rise, the earth rotates . And California is the west of the US for people living in NY, but it is the east for the Japanese .

Congratulations on your new discovery, the train. Used to shift cargo in UK from 1825 and in Germany since 1835. To have a road network you need cars and trucks but the first cars and trucks obviously had to be able to go on unmetalled roads (dirt tracks) The roads in Russia still are still rough and ready because the country is so big.

There's something about your post about shipping oil. I just can't put my finger on it.
In 1933 1,084,571 ton of petroleum was transported on the Rhine Source Petroleum Tanker Shipping on German inland waterways P 5
In 1970 1,342,000 ton of petroleum arrived in West Berlin by Tankers . (Same source : P 9 )
In 1938 the Germans started the construction of the Westhafen Canal (3,1 km ) from Spandau to Charlottenburg. The construction was interrupted in 1939 .
A canal between Spandau and Charlottenburg was better than a railway or a road .

Most of the Romanian oil for Germany also was transported by ship,through the Danube . The French made plans in December 11939 to interrupt these transports .

Are you pulling our legs Spandau to Charlottenburg canal is 2 miles long and connects a river to a ship canal. You can only construct such a canal when you already have a river and a ship canal 2 miles apart.

Last edited:
Ok, so originally, rail was either non-existant or not used. Now rail was essential because roads were unreliable.
The shifting emphasis now seems to be special rivers all over Europe for transporting oil, because trucks can only drive short distances.

Then there's this new revelation that German oil is different than Soviet oil - so what was the difference? The writing on the label perhaps?

German oil isn't as Cyrillic, you need the viscosity. sulphur content and ignition temperature of Cyrillic oils to use the Soviet transport system (a set of facts I just invented)

Users who are viewing this thread