Grumman Martlet III for Greece?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Gents,

Have gone down the rabbit hole thinking about the latest group build and I stumbled upon a Greek order for Martlet III's that was on it's way to Greece when they capitulated. Squadron Signal In Action says they were painted all over Sky Blue with IIRC US Navy serial numbers. The 1/72 AZ model box has a "profile" of the Greek Grumman on the back, though camouflaged. The aircraft carrier Ranger(?) stopped in Gibraltar and the Fleet Air Arm took them over.

With that being said, I have been looking for any pictures of these blue planes, which I would suppose would be in Greek markings. Nothing. I have seen pictures of them in British markings after acceptance, used for a short while in north Africa. Can anyone help?

1ab.jpg

Just a thought Jim. Fire up Google Chrome and head over to some Greek Modelling sites. Someone there would probably have something

Geo indirectly sent me to SDAM and a lovely woman over there said to check their flicker account. Came up with these two (one of which GEO sent me already). No copyright know, per SDAM.

Screenshot_20200324-184735_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200324-184730_Chrome.jpg

Assuming these photos where taken at the Grumman factory, this would dispel the "shipped in overall Sky Blue" statement from Squadron/Signal In Action 84. (Assuming also that they didn't repaint them before shipment).

Now look at the pictures, it looks as if the fin flash and wing roundels have been painted over. Perhaps because of some neutrality technicality. Or did a censor eliminate them on the actual picture? Thoughts?

I'm afraid this is one of those mysteries that has bothered me for years. There have been a number of opinions published about those colors - most cite US Navy paints with local (Middle-Eastern) repaints. Several claim a single overall color - usually gray or blue. But until those SDASM photos turned up in this thread, I'd no idea that a two-toned scheme was applied in the US before delivery.

The Grumman records that I saw depicted two different disruptive camouflages, neither of which was applied to the Greek aircraft.

I've one photo, which is a USAF copy of a Brit image. The contrast is poor and the upper surface colors have faded, making this look almost like a monochromatic camouflage. I'm as much in the dark on this as everyone...

Cheers,

Dana

Greek Wildcats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back