Günther Rall Me 109G-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

really? I have googled and only managed to find the pic below...
do you have any links to those pics?

Attachments

• 109_rall2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 230
Isn't that the same profile I've posted back in post #2 on previous page...?

thats a G-2 which was part of my original question, which you posted an awesome pic of it. then I asked about another question..

Gunther Rall's Me 109G-6. I didn't want to make a seperate thread for it.. sorry about any confusion.

OK, no problem mate. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
I also managed to find that same profile of Rall's G-6 you were talking about in my references now. Don't know how I missed it before.

Do you mean this one , guys? If you do...please make a focus on the difference between chevrons.

Attachments

• Bf109G6 G Rall StabIIIJG52 Russia 1943.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 594
  • Bf109G6 G Rall StabIIIJG52 Russia 1943_.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
yes! that is the one. I also noted the difference in the chevrons. why is that?
also, I believe the Ralls G-6 was used for operation baseplate (Y-29)? is that
correct?

I have a feeling there's another G in there somewhere. In addition to the chevron differences, look at this spinner. This picture is also from the Bundearchiv and appears to be dated just about 2 months before the one with the 250 kills wreath in it posted in the link I included earlier. Same aircraft maybe?

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2004-0010,_Ukraine,_G%C3%BCnther_Rall_mit_Kameraden.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 207
AFAIK Rall never flew in combat after his meeting with the 56th FG in May 44.

The photo of the G-6 with the 250th kill celebration would still be on the eastern front
shortly before he transfered to Jg11.

well the yellow band (JG11)/double chevron on the above pic would be sometime
after the fall of 1943 for home defence. so that for sure would not be from Eastern Front.

well the yellow band (JG11)/double chevron on the above pic would be sometime after the fall of 1943 for home defence. so that for sure would not be from Eastern Front.

Look carefully at the profile Wurger posted, yellow underside wingtips would indicate Eastern front. Besides, I checked Claes Sundin's book which this profile originates from. Caption for this profile says - "Bf 109G-6 flown by Major Gunther Rall, Stab III/JG 52, Apostolovo/USSR, November 28 1943".
This is the date (28th November) when Rall reached his 250-victory mark. Only on 18th April 1944 was he transferred to take command of II/JG 11 in Home Defense.

Last edited:
the plane he flew for "home defence" should be
Me 109 G-5 "Schwarz << +", W.Nr.110 089, of Stab II./JG 11

Sundin's pic of the 109 that flew in russia shouldn't have the yellow band.
only the lower yellow cowl and under the wingtips as you said.

Last edited:
Why no yellow band? This was standard reckognition feature (alongside the yellow wingtips) on Luftwaffe aircraft operating in the eastern theater.
Yes, JG 11 in home defense also displayed yellow fuselage bands, but it had nothing to do with Eastern front. Same as JG 3 used white band in home defense, but without connection to the Mediterranean theater.

well I'm 50/50 on whether Rall's G-6 had the yellow band. I thought he used only the " <◄" + "~" (without the band )
with his G-6 on the Eastern Front. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread