Guess who got accepted on an aircraft technicians course.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i've always been told that someone that of my inteligence and learning style should take an academic not vocational route (for our American friends that's pronounced "root" not "rout" ) in life so i'll guess we'll see how things go..........

Congratulations Plan_D.

I was a technician on fighters and aviation is an interesting work environment. If you enjoy using tools and your brain, you'll enjoy it. If you haven't used tools much, you will soon.

Be prepared though. Aircraft are potentially very dangerous so you'll probably spend quite a long time doing safety stuff and theory before you get too close to them. It'll take patience and hard work to achieve your goals, but there are no short cuts in life. All the best mate.

Cheers, Neilster

Thank you. My dad was an aircraft electrician in the RAF, so I know quite a lot about the patience required.

I was given a basic outline of course units, and here they are:

Business Systems.
Communication.
Science.
Mathematics.
Project (it's a design project we have to do)
Workshop Practices.
Theory of Flight.
Aircraft Systems.
Maintenance Practices.
Hydraulic Systems.
Eletrical and Electronic principles.
Gas Turbine Engines.
Mechanical Principles.
Further Mathematics
Propulsion.
Health and Safety
Metallic and Non-Metallic aircraft materials.

Avionics and other bits will be added along the way.

During your studies, if you have any questions hit us up for info - I think i still have some old notebooks when I went to A&P school 30 years ago!

Yes same here, I still have all my study guides for my A&P as well as all my mechanics handbooks and manuals. Ill be glad to help pD.

As for the 4 years to study being a long time. It is not if you love the field. I worked as a mechanic on helicopters for 4 years before I got my A&P liscense and I am back to college now again with Embry Riddle to get a Professional Aeronautics Degree. With the classes I took with my other degree and my A&P aswell as the credits the Embry Riddle gave me for my Army Mechanics time I only have to study for another 2 years approximatly though.

Thanks lads. It'll be of great help. I have some of my dad's old note books from 36 years ago. Electric is still electric, and the laws of physics ain't changed.

If you get electrical, you'll be worth your weight in gold. Everyone hates to do electrical, Adler could back that up!

plan_D said:
Thanks lads. It'll be of great help. I have some of my dad's old note books from 36 years ago. Electric is still electric, and the laws of physics ain't changed.

Well, don't be so sure about electric... My father was an electrician back in the 70s. When I studied the electricity chapter in science in Secondary 5, he helped me with all those equations. It turned out that the equations we used were not the same as he used.

It can be a small matter, but when you're already f*cked up, you don't need more equations to f*ck you up more.

When I start asking for things, you'll probably remember even more stuff, Clave. My dad seems to have forgotten a lot but when certain words, or the right questions are asked he's throwing everything at me ... yes, even the kitchen sink.

FLYBOYJ said:
If you get electrical, you'll be worth your weight in gold. Everyone hates to do electrical, Adler could back that up!

Yeap that I can not stand. Schematics for wiring and what not give me the biggest headache. I hate electrical systems.

Hmmm...Maybe a career change is in order for me here. I used to fix boards and circuits down to component level. I used to love trace chasing with the schematics and an o-scope. But then, what I worked on was terminals, printers and mainframe boards, nothing critical like aircraft systems. Mess that up, someone could die.

Or in my case, being a civil technician, several hundred could die. But I want the satisfaction of seeing that plane rising from the runway and knowing I was the one that let it fly.

plan_D said:
Or in my case, being a civil technician, several hundred could die. But I want the satisfaction of seeing that plane rising from the runway and knowing I was the one that let it fly.
That's what it's all about!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back