Gyro Cut Craft Cutting Tool

fubar57

General
37,492
27,255
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Location
The Jungles of Canada
Anyone ever heard of this? Might be useful for wavy British camo and those tricky Bf 109 leading edges such as what I am about to encounter. I just read a build on Britmodeller where the guy used one on his Spitfire. Probably better demos but I'm off to work now

​
 
Anyone ever heard of this? Might be useful for wavy British camo and those tricky Bf 109 leading edges such as what I am about to encounter. I just read a build on Britmodeller where the guy used one on his Spitfire. Probably better demos but I'm off to work now

​


Nothing to do with models but I saw this on Shorpy.com and thought you might get a kick out of "the old days"

SHORPY-8c20433a.jpg


Dart truck with Hercules dump body; Bucyrus-Erie 54-B electric shovel.
August 1941. "Loading dump truck with iron ore at the Albany mine, Hibbing, Minnesota. Use of trucks was initiated in this mine two years ago and railroad tracks removed; trucks were found more economical and can climb the steep grade in much shorter time." Medium format acetate negative by John Vachon for the Farm Security Administration.
Source: Shorpy.com
 
Haven't heard of that tool before Geo. I still prefer "freehanding" my camo for 1:48.
 
Somewhere I have a miniature version of that, used for cutting photos for mosaic overlays. Haven't used it in over 30 years . Hadn't considered it for modelling work, but I prefer free-handing the patterns anyway..
 
X-Acto has a tool that employs a blade in the same kind of swiveling tip..

I use it regularly to cut sheets of vinyl-transfer layers free-hand, and vinyl silk-screening sheets for graphics projects.

It would definitely do what this video demonstrates... The blade is tilted towards the back, such that it follows the direction of cut like a caster wheel.. The swivel lets the tilted blade follow the curve. This helps achieve nice smooth curves without you having to twist your wrist to follow the curved edge.

But... the thicker the material you are cutting though, the more tricky it will be to achieve smooth curved edges.

Cheers,
- Art
 

Attachments

  • fFVGc7epQ524ytgUQLM2xA.jpg
    fFVGc7epQ524ytgUQLM2xA.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back