Handley Page-Halifax II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 16, 2010
im thinking of this as my first model in a long time, the halifax i am going to build is in the yorkshire air museum.wich i have seen many of times as a kid when my parents took me to the yorkshire air show.

here are some links to various pictures of the beauty:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/7/9/0/0694097.jpg
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/6/0/0694065.jpg
http://www.controltowers.co.uk/E/images/HP_Halifax_07.jpg

[some history and numbers behind the halifax]
In service with RAF Bomber Command, Halifaxes flew 82,773 operations, dropped 224,207 tons (203,397 tonnes) of bombs and lost 1,833 aircraft.[2] In addition to bombing missions, the Halifax served as a glider tug, electronic warfare aircraft for No. 100 Group RAF and special operations such as parachuting agents and arms into occupied Europe. Halifaxes were also operated by RAF Coastal Command for anti submarine warfare, reconnaissance and meteorological roles.Postwar, Halifaxes remained in service with the RAF Coastal Command and RAF Transport Command and the Armée de l'Air until early 1952. The Pakistan Air Force which inherited the planes from the RAF continued to use the type until 1961.

[what made my choice of plane]
This is one of two fully restored Halifax bomber version in the world. It is located at the Yorkshire Air Museum, on the site of the Second World War airfield, RAF Elvington. This aircraft was re-constructed from a fuselage section of Halifax II HR792 and parts from other aircraft. It is painted to represent Halifax LV907, "Friday the 13th" on the port side and "N - Novembre" of 347 "Guyenne" Squadron, French Air Force, on the starboard side (RAF Elvington being the home of the only two French heavy bomber squadrons in Bomber Command).a second resides in Trenton Ontario Canada . It is a far more complete restoration accoring to those with more knowledge then me. The only other reason of choosing the Halifax was that my great uncle flew halifaxes during world war 2.

thanks to pbfoot for correcting my mistake about the ammount of fully restored halifax's in the world.

Last edited:
There is only one fully restored Halifax bomber version in the world. It is located at the Yorkshire Air Museum, on the site of the Second World War airfield, RAF Elvington. This aircraft was re-constructed from a fuselage section of Halifax II HR792 and parts from other aircraft. It is painted to represent Halifax LV907, "Friday the 13th" on the port side and "N - Novembre" of 347 "Guyenne" Squadron, French Air Force, on the starboard side (RAF Elvington being the home of the only two French heavy bomber squadrons in Bomber Command).The only other reason of choosing the Halifax was that my great uncle flew halifaxes during world war 2
your incorrect about there only being one restyored Halifax a second resides in Trenton Ontario Canada . It is a far more complete resto accoring to those with more knowledge then me The one at the Yorkshire museum has a hastings under carriage the props are on incorredtly

That is a big plane!Never realized it before with those chairs and other planes around really gives you the since of her dimensions.Who Dat!! Cheers Kevin

Which kit are you going to build? Will it be 1/72 or 1/48?

PB foot thanks for the corrections on the information given, i am only stating stuff that i have read in sources off the internet. javelin thats what i thought when i saw it, and its overwhelming to see that bird in real life. and Mr.Ed im not sure as of yet. as i have only built a few models in the past. i think im going to go for the 1/72 model tho due to amount of space i have left in my office.

Last edited:
Hi Ryan, I'm also fan of the Halifax at Elvington, she sure is impressive.
Having seen the 617 Sqn Lancaster that used to stand gate guard at RAF Scampton which captured my imagination when I was a youngster, it's great to see and compare the Halifax. I went to see it last year and will definately be going again this year.
(incidentally, I don't know if you're from the area, but have you seen the Shackleton they've got just down the road in the Manchester Science Museum air gallery - a superb specimine which not everyone knows about).

ive never been to manchester lioner im from darlington neer middlesbrough. and the 617 lancaster squadron is the one from the dambustesr right? if not ive definatley heard of them somewhere.

Hi, yes, RAF Scampton was the home of 617 Sqn, the 'Dambusters', and they used to have a Lancaster on gate guard outside the base, along with a selection of bombs including one of the Barnes Wallis's bouncing bombs. The Lancaster was taken away some years ago for preservation as she was deteriorating outdoors.

Elvington also has a good Barnes Wallis display including one of the bouncing bombs.

Should be a good build, look forward to following the progress. Incidentally, the YAM's Halifax represents a Halifax BIII, and not only is the undercart from a Hastings, but so are the wings. A nice 'composite' restoration though. There is a third Halifax extant, although only partly restored, which was recovered from Lake Hocklingen in Norway in the 1970's. This is a B.MkII, and is in the RAF Museum, Hendon, displayed as it looked soon after recovery, when most of the paint, until then perfectly preserved by the cold water, peeled off.
The original gate-guard Lancaster at Scampton was the famous 'S for Sugar', not from 617 Squadron, but (it's final squadron) 467 Squadron, RAAF. This was removed and is now in the RAF Museum Hendon. It was replaced by NX611, a B.MkVII which had served with the French Aeronavale, before going to Australia, and then returning to the UK , being stored or displayed in various locations. This, in turn, was removed, having been acquired by the Panton brothers, and is now preserved in taxiable condition, as 'Jane', at East Kirkby, Lincolnshire.
The Shackleton in the museum in Manchester was put in place in the early 1980's, when the museum was the Air and Space Museum, part of the Museum of Science and Industry, since 'messed up' in some ways by the City Council over the years. I was involved in a small way in the start-up of the museum at the time, and had a look around the Shack. Although she looks great from outside, the interior is a mass of bare wiring and empty panels (or was), as the RAF wanted the radar and surveillance suite back, and came and ripped it out!

thanks for the information airframes, looks like the sources im getting a very in adiquate. but the one at elvington was painted from a mkII onto a MKIII wasnt it? now i just have to get the model get a workspace sorted and give it ago i dont know what it will end up like tho. i am wishing for the best out of this.

The one at the YAM at Elvington is a MkIII, representing the famous 'Friday the Thirteenth' (the 'real' one being a MkIII), and now the subject of the Airfix 1/72nd scale kit (See 109 roaming's thread in the Bombers/Heavy Hitters Group Build section), an old kit dating back to the very early '60's, but still quite good. The MkIII had radial engines (Bristol Hercules), whilst the earlier MkII, like the one in the RAF Museum, had Rolls Royce 'Merlin' engines, shorter wings, different turrets, and an entirely different nose and tailplane/fins.
If you want good references there are a number of books around, the two by Ken Merrick being the benchmark and, if you can get a hold of a copy, and are interested in the RCM/ECM Halifaxes of 100 Group, Martin Streetly's 'The Aircraft of 100 Group' is excellent, and covers the full story of the aircraft, the equipment fit etc, and has photos and B&W profiles. It is now long out of print, and can go for silly money on the secondary market, anywhere between £25 (rare) to over £100 !!
As for kits, you've got a choice of three basically. One in 1/48th scale, covered in a thread in the Start to Finish build I believe, and two in 1/72nd scale.
The 1/48th scale kit is expensive and, quite frankly, a bit of a dog, although a good model can be produced - eventually, after lots of hard work. It's by Fonderie Miniatures.
The 1/72nd scale kits are the Airfix MkIII already mentiioned, and the ex-Matchbox, now Revell, MkII (I think) to Mk VII (I think!). Anyway, it's the Merlin engined variant, with optional parts to build one of three or four versions. It's a nice kit, good value for money, but bear in mind it still has the early 1980's Matchbox trade mark - panel lines as deep as the trenches on the Atlantic Wall!!
Hope this helps a bit, and if you're stuck, after looking at the above mentioned thread, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to advise/help you.
Cheers,
Terry.

thanks again terry ive managed to get the two books by ken merrick(well orderd). ill be sure to ask for advice if needed throught this build as you seem like the right person to ask.all thats left to do now is to hit up the local hobby shop and get this model,paints,etc.

have you got any advice on what colours to use for this model bering in mind i used to use humbrol paints. and that i currently dont have an airbrush.

I've used Humbrol for nigh on 50 years now, most of that time with a paint brush! Pity they're not such good quality these days, but still!
Anyway, the extrior colours are Humbrol No.29 Dark Earth, No.30 Dark Green and No.33 Black, all Matt paints. The dark green seems a bit bright lately, so you could subsitute No.163 Dark Green (NATO?) in Satin. You'll need to give the model a gloss coat for the decals then a matt clear coat to finish, so it doesn't really matter whether you use all matt or Matt/Satin.
It's worthwhile adding a spot or two of Matt White No.34 to the Black, just to 'take the edge off', as it'll go darker with the clear coats anyway, and will allow for any panel line detailetc in true black.
The interior would be Cockpit Green No.78, although in this scale, from the tin it will be a bit dark, so add some spots of white to lighten it. The seat cushion colour depended on which factory built the aircraft, but they were either a mid, semi-gloss green, from the London Transport production, or a darker, almost olive drab. Again depending on manufacture, some aircraft had the internal rear fuselage and centre section in 'Aluminium', an almost matt paint finish. If you have a look at the Yorkshire Air Museum web-site, there's a virtual tour of the inside of their Halifax, which I think you'll find useful.
Cheers,
Terry.

cheers boss ill try get all these this afternoon, i can also get the 1/72 hallifax of the yorkshire air musem website if i carnt get it at my local hobby shop :D.

ran into my first problem wich is they havent got the bird in. but good news is the guy that works there is goin to get one orderd for me wich is good of the fella isnt it.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back