Also the R-3350 switched to fuel injection in late 1944, which greatly improved reliabillity due to the more uniform and controlable fuel-air mixture, or so I've read.
And I never said anything about the DB-601 having poor efficiency specifically, I don't know a whole lot about that, but I was talking about what I've heard about early fuel-ingected engines compared to carbs. Though I'd expect the advantage of fuel ingection to be more pronounced with larger engines, and high horsepower, particularly if only considdering a single (or maby dual) carborator system.
Also I'm not really sure what's meant by the comparison of the DB-601 to the R-3350, as this is far from an apples-to-apples comparison, with the horsepower and size ranges considderably different, more importantly the comparison of liquid-cooled inline to air-cooled radial engines, as radiald, in general, tend to be less fuel efficient in general iirc.
A comparison of the DB-601 (or maby the 603, 605, or the fuel-injected Junkers-Jumo 210, 211, or 213 engines) to the V-1710 and Merlin lines would be a better comparison. Or, for ratials, the fuel-injected BMW-801 to the R-2800, or (closer in size, power, and with the same cylinder number and configuration) the R-2600.