Has anyone used black basing on late war RLM A.C. with motle finish?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildsau

Senior Airman
Oct 22, 2019
Interested to see if this may be a good approach to Red 12 Me 262 B1-A. There's a lot of character in the paint work of those NJG 10 night fighter jets.

I think you mean 10/NJG11 as the unit that flew Red 12. Those late war B-1a night fighters were practically new and so would not have shown much weathering. Rather, the issue would have been a low quality application at the factory and so you may have seen a very thin top coat showing the underlying bare metal and puttied panel lines. There were actually two Red 12's. The first, W. Nr. 110636 is thought to be a converted A-2 and was lost in it's first combat flight on March 27/28 1945. The second one, W. Nr. 111980 was received by 10/NJG11 in mid April 1945 and was surrendered at Schleswig-Land.

The wings on my Red 8 were intended to reflect the thin paint. I did not black base the model.

15112204.jpg

Ok it seems that the single seaters had much more weathering some were pretty beat up but the night fighters did look much cleaner especially noticeable on the engines.

Be careful on what you are defining as "night fighters". 10/NJG11 operated many single seaters as night fighters when the unit was formed, as Kommando Welter, in the latter months of 1944 . There were also several converted 2 seaters used until the dedicated B-1a's came along very late in the game.

If I was doing the B-1a Red 12, I would do very little weathering. You could beat up the fuel tanks though as these took a beating! Note Red 8 with one grey and one black tank.

1-messerschmitt-me-262b-10-njg11-r8-wnr-110305-schleswig-jagel-1945-01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back