Hasegawa 1/16th scale Sopwith Camel.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I've just seen today's e-mail news letter from Model Zone, which includes brief details of the 'new' Hasegawa Sopwith Camel, in 1/16th scale.
Now, I remember Hasegawa releasing large scale kits of the Camel, and the Fokker DR1 Triplane, roughly 30 years ago, as limited edition, 'Museum quality' kits. However, I seem to recall that these were constructed from wood, metal, plastic and fabric and were in an even larger scale, and fairly expensive, although very impressive.
This apparently 'new' kit is described as being plastic, with the very brief advert only showing three-view drawings of an uncovered aircraft, all the fuselage and wing frames being visible.
With this large scale, one would expect a large model, but, the Camel, being a relatively small aircraft, the model scales out with a wing span of only 21 inches (53 cm). It is available only to pre-order (in the UK only at Model Zone) at £169.99, and Model Zone state that the price at time of ordering will be fixed, regardless of any price increase which may occur between order date and their receiving stock, which will be limited.
At the price shown, high though it is, I doubt if these are versions of their earlier, costly masterpieces, in plastic rather than wood etc, so I'm going to dig through old modelling magazines to find original ads for the earlier kits, to check on the scale.
Regardless of cost, it's likely that these kits will find a home with those who's interest lies in WW1 aircraft - and can afford it!

Last edited:
As and when, or if (!) I get more info, I'll keep you all posted.
It would be unfair to pass judgement without seeing the kit, but I can't help thinking that it still sounds expensive. That may sound rather sweeping, but the overall size is smaller than a 1/48th scale B-17 and, however well detailed it is, perhaps down to accurate and authentic joints in the frames, turn buckles, a replica engine in miniature and so on, the Camel isn't exactly a complex mix of machinery and engineering, like a P-51 or Spitfire, for example.
I would think it very possible to build a static display model to similar standards, using a kit designed for radio control for instance.
But, we'll see. I remember those larger, wood and metal kits of their's, from 30 years ago, and they really were superb, exactly like the real thing, only smaller!
I've had a quick search through some old modelling mags, and found a 1981 advert for the SE5A, shown below.
Note the scale, and the price - but also note what you got for your money.
A very basic comparison of kit prices then, and the same kits now, shows that this 1/8th scale kit, today, would be roughly £500 - but that's not allowing for the current massive price hike which Hasegawa now demand for even their basic, old kits, when other companies ask sensible prices.
I now wonder how a 'down-sized', plastic version would stand up, physically, if it's all made to scale ...

Attachments

• Can Jan 716.jpg
    Can Jan 716.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back