Hasegawa 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I decided to try the salt method to add some wear effects on the upper surfaces. It's a messy technique that I incorporated thusly... wetting the upper surfaces with water and sprinkling various grades of salt crystals onto the model. The matt surface tended to pool the water so I had to push the salt around with my brush.
IMG_2801_zpspvqw9jmm.jpg

Once the salt/water is dry, I airbrushed a VERY dilute light grey over the upper surfaces in uneven patterns. Let the grey dry and remove the salt. First with a stiff paint brush to get the majority of the crystals off and then with water and a piece of cloth to finish the cleaning. You should get an uneven wear pattern. It looks pretty abrupt in the picture below but it got toned down with another matt coat.
IMG_2802_zpsmesdymsm.jpg

After the salt wear was finished, it was simply a matter of attaching the engine cowling assembly and the various fiddly bits such as the dorsal antenna, the pitot tube, the cannon barrels and the foot pegs. The canopy masks are carefully removed and voila... the N1K1 Shiden is complete!

Here are the finished photos of the N1K1-Ja. The markings depict an aircraft of the Yatabe Flying Group operating from Tsukuba Air Base in Kasama City, Ibaraki Prefecture.

JTK_1213_zpsozdlx44b.jpg

JTK_1216_zpshmmaq5md.jpg

JTK_1217_zpsv1y5uyx9.jpg

JTK_1218_zpslmxsmm9i.jpg

JTK_1219_zpslnumu1ke.jpg

JTK_1221_zps9sw7dcdw.jpg

JTK_1223_zps6upijz1j.jpg

JTK_1215_zpsfnpqlro6.jpg

JTK_1224_zpsbsy6dylw.jpg

JTK_1226_zpsnyv4wapw.jpg

JTK_1227_zps9fdaede7.jpg

JTK_1229_zpsjzhtwhpn.jpg

Thanks guys! The salt fading technique yields some cool results but it is a bit of a mess to deal with. Definitely cover your work surface with a temporary catch-all... that salt gets all over the place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back