Hasegawa 1/48 P40E first completed air model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bad-Karma

Airman 1st Class
Aug 5, 2014
Rock Hill SC
I finally completed my p40 kit! It only took me about a year and a half :oops:. Was probably only about 30 hours or so of actually working on it. I really enjoyed putting it together and can't speak highly enough about the quality of this kit (very beginner friendly). It's not perfect by any means and I left some of the smaller details off but it was a great learning experience. A couple of lessons for the less experienced:

DON'T CHEAPEN OUT! I used plain ole masking tape instead of the high quality model specific stuff. BIG MISTAKE. Spending a couple extra bucks is preferable to spending a ton of your time being ultra careful applying paint to find it bled through the masking tape.

Do your due diligence on assembling all the supplies. I had a specific color spray paint but not a matching bottle for touch ups. Spray painting a box and using a brush to lap up the paint is a piss poor way to do touch ups :crazy:.

Paint will not fill gaps. Triple check that you filled gaps fully. I did a great job in most places but one or two spots I didn't fill enough.

Having a designated spot to work on models is a million times better than the kitchen table or in the garage. Working on this lesson right now.

Painting the glass frame makes a huge difference. I wish I would have done it but live and learn.

Overall I think it came out great considering my cavalier attitude towards putting it together. This was really a test of my interest level and to see if it warranted an investment in supplies.

Overall I'm hooked! My wife got me an airbrush for Christmas so now I'm on the hunt for a quieter compressor. I'm also building a craft bench in our sun room specifically to do models/reload ammunition. I'm excited to learn a lot of the more advanced techniques and will hopefully soon be starting a 1/48 b17g. My original plan was to use metal foil on the B17 but now that I have an airbrush I might try for alclad. Anyway enjoy the pictures. The paint is medium green and actually a lot darker in person but for some reason the lighting makes it seem very light.

Last edited:
This is a great place to learn. Painting canopies suck and even though I swear that it will be the first thing I tackle with the next kit, it always ends up being the last. Just started using an airbrush myself, 3rd kit done. Kicking myself in the keester for not starting sooner. Looking forward to the second.

Great job on your first completed kit! It looks great! I don't know anyone who actually "enjoys" painting canopy frames but yes, I agree, it does make a tremendous difference in the appearance of a model. As previously stated, this is a great place to learn and I'm sure you'll glean ALOT of info as you share more of your work.

I replaced a VERY noisy Campbell-Hausfeld compressor with one from California Air Tools and have not had any regrets. It's not silent but I can hold a normal conversation with it running nearby. Best of all, it doesn't give me a heart attack every time it cranks up to fill the 4 gallon tank.

Alclad gives a very nice metal finish but it is supremely unforgiving. Just a recommendation but I would get a bit of experience under your belt with the new airbrush before trying Alclad on such a big model.

Welcome aboard!

welcome to the asylum....

a piece of kit I would spend some time on is a desktop mag with light. i's also consider some sort of jig on which to sit your models what working on them. mini clamps are a good investment, and of course some good quality blades and a cutting tool for getting the part clear of the sprue cleanly.

An early decision for you is whether to use acrylics like Tamiya or enamels like humbrol. Much greater choice with enamels, but ive always found them harder to use. acrylics are touch dry in about 5 minutes, but much more susceptible to casual damage because they are softer. you almost always need a hard coat on the surface to protect them. You cannot really mix the two its not even advisable to spray one on top or in the same gear as the other. one is oil based, the other water based. never the two shall meet......

model looks fine to me. well done

Nicely done. I'm gonna be picky here but the "Flying Tigers" were not part of the Army Air Corps. They wore Chinese insignia
ee44ee742908dc09dc32221939a2a247.jpg
P-40_B_Flying_Tigers_-_010.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back