Well, I decided to try out my idea, since i don't think an LED bulb will fit in this rudder part.
I have a fiber optic cable from my last TV purchase, so I cut it open and extracted the sleeved filament.
As I said, the filament itself is exactly 1mm in diameter (okay, maybe .995).
I don't have a 1mm drill bit, the closest I could find was .95mm. (1/32" I think?)
Anyway, I grabbed a thick piece of sprue plastic from the Hurricane kit and drilled a hole.
I drilled by hand, using a normal knife handle (they make great pin vises, I have a number with slightly different size collets),
but because of the drill's size, it flexed and wobbled a lot, making a hole that was a tad loose for the 1mm filament.
I inserted the filament and allowed it to stick out a bit, trimmed the end clean, and put a bit of plastic cement on it.
Then pulled it back into the sprue plastic until it was flush.
Then I put a blob of the same glue over the end (to see if it affected the light glow).
Then I held the other end of the filament up to my smartphone torch, and voila!
Let there be light!
lol fiber optics always amaze me.
It's tricky to keep the filament properly aligned with the lamp, but it gets real bright when i do.
So this told me my method was sound, all I needed to do now was drill a 1mm hole through my rudder part.
A small hole like that would be easier to repair if I flubbed it.
The trick is making sure the hole is perfectly aligned, because the 1.4mm thick rudder left no room for deviation.
Things went good at first, drilling into the light to start, but I did deviate slightly and I noticed some plastic distortion when I got to the light base.
I quickly switched to the front end of the rudder and drilled from that dirrection.
Luckily the passage met in the middle, and with a little effort, I was able to force the filament through.
I did the same thing as with the sprue test, I put a little glue on the filament end and left it to dry.
I've got about a foot of cable in front of the rudder, so plenty to trim later, after I figure out how and where to connect it to an LED source.
But as you see, the rudder light looks great!
Once it's all painted up, it should look like the real thing.