Hawker Hurricane N. F. Mk. IIC?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Recently snapped a second hand Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIC 'Night Hurricane' I think that the kit number is JT164....

Looking at suitable projects in my Hurricane bible, so, anyhoo, I was wondering, how were these night fighters, night intruders camouflaged, we're they always all black or dark camouflage with black lower camouflage?

Also, is Hasegawa's Mk. IIC'Night Hurricane'....

10955DSCF1788_zpswxofemc_edit_1403926084048_zpsr70nwhn1.jpg

.....the same as a N. F. Mk. IIC?

I have found that the black camo was introduced on 22.05.1940 r. For the camo was used the paint called R.D.M.2 applied overall. Unfortunately the paint was causing decreasing of aircraft performances , especially the speed. So the new camo scheme was innovated on 1.10.1942.

I went through the Internet and found a couple of pics that shows Hurricanes both overall black and with the black undersides. As memo serves I have read somewhere that the black undersides and the DG/OG tops were typical for the early period.

Hawker-Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-432Sqn-QO-Nightfighter-BN185-01.jpg

HURRICANE-BLACK.jpg

Hurricane_night_fighters_30_Sqn_RAF_in_Egypt_c1941.jpg

Hurricane MkIIc RAF 87 Sqn LK-R Night Duty Z3353 England 1941.png

Also I found this small shot. Initially I was thinking it was a Hurricane with balck undersides only. But I enlarged it a little bit and used the Gama correction for making it brighter. It appears the the plane was black overall. If there is any doubt please compare the black part of prop blade and the colour of her at the tops and wheel bay door for instance.

Hurricane NF MkIIc.jpg

Hurricane M kIIc night.jpg

Here other images of the Hurricane LK-R of the 87th Squadron with tops of the DG/OG and black bottom surfaces.

Aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force_1939-1945-_Hawker_Hurricane._CH6937.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-gsy9AQ91pyGdRMQXlRuLEGi1sNiDgbDTRJw7ksAj48pCnFmj.jpg

And here is another Hurrican Mk.IIc of the squadron coded LK-A. The pic was taken in June 1941 soon after arriving at the unit. Traces of re-painting are seen nicely.

hurricaneIIC_87sqn.jpg

And finally I have found the last pic of the post #4 being of decent size and quality.

Squadron Leader J A F MacLachlan, the one-armed Commanding Officer of No 1 Squadron RAF, standing beside his all-black Hawker Hurricane Mark IIC night fighter, 'JX-Q', at Tangmere, Sussex.

Hurricane Mark IIC black 1 Squadron RAF JX-Q Tangmere_Sussex.jpg

And two images more...

Hurricane MkI black.jpg

hurricaneIIC LK-A_87sqn_.jpg

Last edited:
Wojtek, in your Post #5, I've got a larger photo of LK-R I was going to post but I couldn't see any cannon barrels to verify that it was a Mk.IIc.

Geo

Do you mean the small shot of the LK-R? If you do , it is the same Hurricane showed in the pic above the small image. So no doubt it is the Mk.IIc. Also you can find her shot in the post #4 ( with the Russian text written in there).

Two Hurricane Mark IIC night fighters of No. 87 Squadron RAF, at Charmy Down, Somerset. They are: (left); HL864 LK-? Nightingale, with pilot, Pilot Officer F W Mitchell, and (right); HL865 LK-R Night Duty, with pilot, Sergeant B Bawden. Both aircraft carry 44-gallon underwing fuel tanks.

large.jpg

Last edited:
I see. To be honest I didn't pay my attention to the Mark of Hurricane in the second and third picture of the post #4 and the fist one of the post #8. Undoubtedly these Hurrucanes were of the early type. Sorry. But these are a good example on how the Black colour looked like and how it "reacted" to the searchlights at night.

Much obliged gentlemen, very much appreciated! :thumbright:

This is interesting Wojtek, I can't find this Hurricane in my Hurricane bible, clearly, as everybody can see, it's a Hurricane and it says Z4204, right....still in the book, you'll find Z4203 and Z4205, but no Z4204!?

Misprint in the book perhaps? Anyhoo, the other two (Z4203 and Z4205) were part of a Gloster (by the looks of things) built batch of 400 aircraft delivered between December 1940 and March 1941, a Mk. I...strange it is anyway..

One on the list that I've found (for the kit) is BN185, coded QO-A, a N. F. Mk. IIC from No. 3 Squadron, based at Hunsdon for night intruder operations 03/42 and reported as missing 13/01/43.

The SAM publications listed her as a part of 519 ordered Mk.I planes ( serial block Z4161-Z4205 ) powered by Merlin Mk.III with de Havilland or Rotol three-blade props.

It seems that the Mk.Is were used for night intruder flights. Also the Hurricane Mark IIB night fighters can be found... e.g Z3971 SW-S "Samasthans II" nearest), of No. 253 Squadron RAF, lined up at Hibaldstow, Lincolnshire.

hurricaneI_87sqn_.jpg

And here is the Hawker Hurricane MkIIc RAF 432Sqn QO-A nightfighter BN185... posted above as well.

Hawker-Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-432Sqn-QO-Nightfighter-BN185-01.jpg

Last edited:
You're the man Wojtek! The Egyptians used to cover people in gold after a good deed, I'll fill your tub with fine Polish beer or Vodka!

:notworthy:

True indeed my friend...seen a Mk. I missing (trying to find her again) from a night operation....

Much obliged gentlemen, very much appreciated! :thumbright:

This is interesting Wojtek, I can't find this Hurricane in my Hurricane bible, clearly, as everybody can see, it's a Hurricane and it says Z4204, right....still in the book, you'll find Z4203 and Z4205, but no Z4204!?

Misprint in the book perhaps? Anyhoo, the other two (Z4203 and Z4205) were part of a Gloster (by the looks of things) built batch of 400 aircraft delivered between December 1940 and March 1941, a Mk. I...strange it is anyway..

One on the list that I've found (for the kit) is BN185, coded QO-A, a N. F. Mk. IIC from No. 3 Squadron, based at Hunsdon for night intruder operations 03/42 and reported as missing 13/01/43.

The date would fir into your 13 scheme Jan

Good stuff chaps. Just a quick note - the Mk1s in overall black were mainly home-defence night fighters, the scheme later changed to DG/OG uppers, black underside, although by that time the Beaufighter and Mosquito had more or less replaced them in the role.
Those MkIIC's with under wing tanks operated in the Night Intruder role, again being mainly replaced by Mossie units.

Hurricane L1913 (don't know the code) of No. 504 Squadron, was shot down by own A.A. near Nuneaton in 29/09/40 during a night sortie....pilot bailed out.
She was a Mk. I and part of the first batch of 600 aircraft from Hawker Aircraft Limited...

Good stuff chaps. Just a quick note - the Mk1s in overall black were mainly home-defence night fighters, the scheme later changed to DG/OG uppers, black underside, although by that time the Beaufighter and Mosquito had more or less replaced them in the role.
Those MkIIC's with under wing tanks operated in the Night Intruder role, again being mainly replaced by Mossie units.

Thanks awfully old boy, always appreciate your input what! Have a snifter...or several!

Hurricane L1913 (don't know the code) of No. 504 Squadron, was shot down by own A.A. near Nuneaton in 29/09/40 during a night sortie....pilot bailed out.
She was a Mk. I and part of the first batch of 600 aircraft from Hawker Aircraft Limited...
Squadron code is TM-

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back