Hawker Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There are inaccuracies in depiction of royal Yugoslav Hurricanes...
Yugoslavia imported 24 Hurricanes from Britain and further 48 were to be license build in our factories "Zmaj" and "Rogožarski". There were some differences between two batches. Imported machines were initially with canvas wings and two blade wooden propellers (first 12 examples) and remaining ones had metal wings and three blade variable pitch metal propellers. What is common to these imported machines is that the original RAF paint scheme (both A and B pattern) was kept. These aircraft are also immediately distinguishable by white roman numbers (I-XII) on the fuselage. National markings consisted of large "Kosovo Cross" roundels in four wing positions. No national flag on the rudder.
On the other hand, Yugoslav build Hurricanes all had canvas wings but three blade propellers. By the time when these were starting to be delivered new paint scheme was developed for our aircraft consisting of light blue undersides and three tone upper surfaces (olive green, brown and ocher). Also low visibility national roundel of reduced size was introduced in two wing positions. National flag was painted on the rudder. Under the flag there were aircraft data written in small yellow Cyrillic letters.
Royal Yugoslav Hurricanes never had yellow painted wing leading edges.
Imalko, I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your information! I have a question and perhaps you are the one to answer it. Do you know if the Yugoslavian Hurricane captured by the Italians had a canvas wing or metal wing? I found this clip on You Tube and from what I can see it looks like it might have a metal wing, but I would appreciate your advice. Here's a link to the clip.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CkN_VSTqJM

Here is an opinion found via the net....
"Br.2337 was a Zmaj license built Mk I, the plane was a transitional machine. Zmaj built approximately 24 fabric winged Hurricanes with a Merlin III engine which had a 3 bladed DH prop but without the armored windshield. Another 24 Hurricanes were delivered by Hawker, the first 12 being fabric winged and the last 12 with metal wings. Some fabric winged Hurricanes, both Hawker and Zmaj built, were rewinged at some point with metal wings although it is unclear if Br.2337 was. I don't think anyone would fault you for modeling Br.2337 as a fabric winged Hurricane."

The enlarged shots of the BR 2337 indicate the fabric skin of wings IMHO.

Zmaj-Hurricane-I-BR.2337.jpg

Zmaj-Hurricane-I-BR.2337_b.jpg

Zmaj-Hurricane-I-BR.2337_a.jpg

Zmaj-Hurricane-I-BR.2337_d.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back