Hawker Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The USAAF operated two (I think...haven't checked) squadrons of Beaufighters as night fighters in the MTO.
I think there were some four Beaus squadrons in the USAAF.

The Hurricane I think it was used as a hack.

....and now I see Sea Hurricane Mk.XIIs with stars during Operation Torch. a thunk

IIRC that was an attempt to disguise Torch as an all american invasion of French N.A. to avoid resistance against the british due to the french felt let down in the Battle of France, the Mers el Kebir raid and the support of De Gaulle.

Even Swordfish and Albacores had the white star over the blue roundel painted.

The Zmaj R-1 is 3 years "younger" than Do-17. So perhaps the Do-17 was quite similar to R-1.
The R-1 three years younger? I don't think so. As per this source the R-1 design started in 1936 and the first fly on 1940 by the spring.

The Do.17 first flew in 1934, by 1937 it was in action in Spain and by spring 1940 even the Z version was already in service.

The R-1 was designed in 1930 and it seems it stayed unrealized for the next six years. Then in 1936 they started its construction at the Zmaj factory. The Dornier project that resulted in the Do-17, started in 1933 as memo serves. So it means that the R-1 was born three years earlier.

Where did you get that info that it was designed in 1930? By that date it would had been a very modern design, if not the most. Quite a far achivement for such a small country as Yugoslavia.

Sorry but the first web says "The Zmaj R-1 was a twin-engined prototype bomber from Yugoslavia, designed in the 1930s.", not in 1930.

The second one says "В первой половине 1930-х гг." which Google translate as "In the first half of the 1930s". Also not in 1930.

Anyway, it certainly looks more like the Amiot 350 with some Do 17 touches, probably due aerodinamic considerations:

R-1

Users who are viewing this thread