Hawker Persian Fury - Were these real markings?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

buffnut453

Captain
Jul 25, 2007
Utah, USA
I'm hoping ARTESH ARTESH might be able to contribute to this thread.

For the longest time, I've wanted to build a model of the Hawker Persian Fury wearing these markings:

1622046254860.png

Unfortunately, there's a complete lack of photos showing anything like this scheme.

I've found factory photos like this one which do at least show the fuselage marking and numerals:

1622046343637.png

I also found this interesting line-up taken in Iran which appears to show coloured wheel covers...which is a nice detail, but still a long way from the profile rendition:

Hawker Persian Fury Line-up.jpg

Anyone know of any other image sources for this interesting bird?

Last edited:
They did use the green-white-red roundels when I lived there. The numeric designators on the tail are indeed the numerals used in that part of the world and seem to be in the right position. The royal crest as well is something I saw on IIAF F-4s (we taxied past them at Mehrabad Airport on occasion).

I can't speak to unit accuracy or layout at all, nor to the colored bands on fuselage and vertical stabilizer. ARTESH ARTESH would certainly give much better info.

well, nothing about Camouflage, Paintings and Markings, but this little info might be helpful / useful:

Before 1935, Air Force, as what it is today, didn't exist. The whole Air Force was a series of several desks in War department of Army's High Command. In total has about 500 Personnel, including 32 Pilots and about 30 different vehicles. The only Military Operational Airfield and Airbase was located in Tehran. In 1936, Air Force had a total manpower of 925, 80 were pilots.

Source: A booklet printed by [Imperial] Iranian Army for youngsters titled "Short history of Imperial Iranian Air Force" by Brigadier General A. Sardadvar, published 1972

376px-Col._Ahmad_Khan_Nakhjavan.jpg

Colonel Ahmad [Khan] Nakhjavan (1893 - 1966), Commander of Air Force, 1932 - 1937 Source: Wikipedia.

Yeah, the Profile Pubs booklet on the Fury was where I first saw the Persian Fury scheme. Unfortunately, it gets the national marking wrong. The outer ring of the roundel should be green with the inner being red. I just think it's a really striking scheme and wish there was at least one contemporary photo showing the bird.

Hmm...something barfed....No clue how that happened. I think I looked at the thread about 4 this morning, right after lunch was over, and didn't knowingly do anything. Need to figure out how I can take that away, as it's not correct. If I were to disagree about something, I'd state my case...Only thing I can think of is I had the phone open when I was packing up to move to another hangar about 6:45 or so.

Figured out how to kill it, and did so.:)

Hmm...something barfed....No clue how that happened. I think I looked at the thread about 4 this morning, right after lunch was over, and didn't knowingly do anything. Need to figure out how I can take that away, as it's not correct. If I were to disagree about something, I'd state my case...Only thing I can think of is I had the phone open when I was packing up to move to another hangar about 6:45 or so.

Figured out how to kill it, and did so.:)

It's all good, brotha. Enjoy your day!

The recent forum changes has the "Like" menu static active on each post, now, instead of in a drop-down menu.
So we'll be seeing odd "dislikes" appearing on posts, which happen by accident when people hit the icons accidently while scrolling on a mobile device.

Hopefully Horse will put the menu back in drop-down form when he gets a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back