Hawker Typhoon loss rates?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

some of the acronyms used

Attachments

• Typhoon19.jpg
    Typhoon19.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 133
From the Thomas and Shore book on the Typhoon and Tempest, right Colin?
...is the correct answer, a fine book

Some details, if anyone's interested:

The Typhoon Tempest Story
Chris Thomas Christopher Shores
Arms and Armour Press

ISBN 0 85368 878 8

Last edited:
...is the correct answer, a fine book

Some details, if anyone's interested:

The Typhoon Tempest Story
Chris Thomas Christopher Shores
Arms and Armour Press

ISBN 0 85368 878 8

The companion book would be:

The Hawker Typhoon and Tempest
Francis K Mason
ISBN 0-946627-19-3

In 23 pages of the book, it gives the history of just about every Typhoon and Tempest.

So reading it by pages

1. 41-42; 15 losses to engine failure; 3 losses to structural failure; 1 loss to carbon monoxide poisoning
2. 43; 21 losses to engine failure; 5 losses to structural failure
3. 43; 20 losses to engine failure; 4 losses to structural failure
4. 43; 13 losses to engine failure; 2 losses to structural failure
5. 43; 8 losses to engine failure; 2 losses to structural failure
6. 43; 9 losses to engine failure
7. 44; 21 losses to engine failure; 1 loss to structural failure
8. 44; 17 losses to engine failure; 1 loss to structural failure
9. 44; 8 losses to engine failure
10. 44; 7 losses to engine failure
11. 44; 9 losses to engine failure; 1 loss to engine failure
12. 44; 10 losses to engine failure; 1 loss to engine failure
12a. 44; 13 losses to engine failure
14. 44-45; 4 losses to engine failure
15. 45; 28 losses to engine failure
16. 45; 15 losses to engine failure; 1 loss to structural failure
17. 45; 27 losses to engine failure; 1 loss to structural failure
18. 45; 18 losses to engine failure; 2 losses to structural failure

So round about 250 a/c lost before enemy action between 1941 and 1945. The engine failure problem, far from going away, seemed to spike quite alarmingly toward the end of the Typhoon's career. Structural failures seemed to peak, die away but never quite disappear.

At roughly 90 entries per page, with above losses similarly averaged, that's 16% of all aircraft per page lost before even seeing the Luftwaffe. This does not include n/k's (not knowns) or ftr's (failed to returns).

Do you think we'll ever see an airworthy Typhoon at air shows and if so, who'd fly it? :shock:

So reading it by pages
So round about 250 a/c lost before enemy action between 1941 and 1945. The engine failure problem, far from going away, seemed to spike quite alarmingly toward the end of the Typhoon's career. Structural failures seemed to peak, die away but never quite disappear.

At roughly 90 entries per page, with above losses similarly averaged, that's 16% of all aircraft per page lost before even seeing the Luftwaffe. This does not include n/k's (not knowns) or ftr's (failed to returns).
QUOTE]
Well, those are statistical numbers. Before I would get alarmed, I would like to compare them to some ot the other front line fighters used in Europe. Once compared to others, I'm guessing it may not be as bad as it appears.

Were those all Typhoons? Or Tempests as well later on?

Well, those are statistical numbers. Before I would get alarmed, I would like to compare them to some ot the other front line fighters used in Europe. Once compared to others, I'm guessing it may not be as bad as it appears.

ER Hooton, Eagle in Flames gives German front line losses not to enemy action, 2nd quarter 1941 to 2nd quarter 1944 as 7,614 aircraft. Losses to enemy action over the same period were 26,852 aircraft. That's about 22% of aircraft lost not to enemy action, although that might include missing aircraft where the cause wasn't established. We need sortie data for a proper comparison, though.

Last edited:
I have read that for every aircraft lost to enemy fire 2 were lost for various other reasons.

An example was my Mothers cousin he flew his Hurricane in the last weeks of the Battle of Britain, went on Rhubarb ops over France and flew his Spitfire from Malta during the invasion of Sicily. He came out of these without a scratch but lost his life delivering a brand new Spitfire MkV from Malta to Sicily. His engine failed on approach and he didnt make it as far as the runway.

ER Hooton, Eagle in Flames gives German front line losses not to enemy action, 2nd quarter 1941 to 2nd quarter 1944 as 7,614 aircraft. Losses to enemy action over the same period were 26,852 aircraft. That's about 22% of aircraft lost not to enemy action, although that might include missing aircraft where the cause wasn't established. We need sortie data for a proper comparison, though.
Not to enemy action
but how many to engine failure?

So round about 250 a/c lost before enemy action between 1941 and 1945. The engine failure problem, far from going away, seemed to spike quite alarmingly toward the end of the Typhoon's career.

I have read that the Sabre engine didn't like the dirt/dust of the forward airfields in Europe at the end of the war. A filter was quickly devised but maybe it wasn't quite as effective as hoped?

In any case it might mean that the later engine failures were from a different cause than the early engine failures.

I have read that the Sabre engine didn't like the dirt/dust of the forward airfields in Europe at the end of the war. A filter was quickly devised but maybe it wasn't quite as effective as hoped?

In any case it might mean that the later engine failures were from a different cause than the early engine failures.

That could be true. A quick run through the list of Tempest losses for e/f has:

month - 44 - 45

Jan - * - 1
Feb - * - 8
Mar - * - 8
Apr - 2 - 9
May - 1 - 3
Jun - 1
Jul - 5
Aug - 1
Sep - 7
Oct - 4
Nov - 5
Dec - 4

My understanding is that the first filter didn't work to well as when the engine backfired it wrecked the filter. A modified filter with doors was designed which solved the problem as when the engine backfired the door on the filter opened letting the air out without causing any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back