He 111H-6 from I./KG26....code? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Any idea which colour this would make the 'N' then, should 1H+NK be correct..?

Hopfully this helps you, from the book Luftwaffe Codes, Markings and Units 1939-1945 by Barry C Roush
Scan_February-6-2016-9-58-07-916-AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind on that list, its for the transport list instead of bomber, reconnaissance and such, see if I can find the correct one

Could be, I know the Luftwaffe moved aircraft to different units at times just like the allies. Really curious what Wojtek has to say on all this.

Forgot to add to the last post - I/KG26 ( Roman numeral) indicates I Gruppe, whereas 1/KG26 (Arabic numeral) indicates 1 Staffel.
I(One) Gruppe would consist of 1, 2 and 3 Staffel, II (Two) Gruppe would be 4, 5 and 6 Staffel, and so on.
The first two letters of the codes (in black) indicated the Geschwader.
The third (coloured) letter was the individual aircraft within the Staffel or Stab (colour of letter indicating the Staffel or Stab.)
The last (black) letter indicated the Gruppe.
Staffel colours were :-
1, 4 and 7 Staffel = White.
2, 5 and 8 Staffel = Red
3, 6 and 9 Staffel = Yellow.
Geschwader Stab = Blue.
Gruppe Stab = Green.

Dark letters such as red or blue were often (but not always) outlined in white.
Yellow letters were mainly outlined in black, but there were exceptions.
White letters were mainly plain, but have been noted with black outline in some cases.

Very tempted....

IMG_20170313_102407.jpg

I'll imagine that, she'd be carrying standard upper RLM 70/71 camouflage, while at Bardufoss in September '42?

Last edited:
Much obliged Squire....pour yourself some liquid entertainment!

Well, doesn't get more....at the end of the world than this, eh?

IMG_20170313_123656.jpg

IMG_20170313_123358.jpg

IMG_20170313_123338.jpg

Nice pics old boy.
The airport is there so that people can fly there, turn around, and fly back - why else would anyone want to go there ?!!!
Even if there's a pub, it would probably cost the equivalent of the air fare just for a pint !!!
I bet the Luftwaffe crew really enjoyed themselves at that posting !

It's interesting, that the rescue, isn't mentioned in any of my books, at least I haven't found anything yet....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back