The Me 163 was not at all underdeveloped. The airframe was perfected over a course of several years, there was nothing rushed about its introduction. The propulsion system proved to be a failure, that's the plain truth. But that was only really found out when the type was used in combat.
It was landing and refuelling that was the real hazard, nothing to do with combat. Under normal circumstances the Me 163 would have got nowhere near a service pilot.
What ultrathin straight wing are you referring too? How many of the fighter jets after World War 2 used straight wings as compared to those that used swept wings?
The wing I am speaking of is the one developed by Miles for the M.52 which was flown and validated on the Gillette Falcon and small scale models, examples of fighters with straight ultra thin wings would include the F-104, F-5, and even today the F-18 and several others. Mikoyan also designed an alternative layout for the MiG 21 with a wing and tail that seemed copied straight off the F-104, but they never flew it. The early straight wing jets like the P-80 to 84, Attacker, Sea Hawk etc used 'slightly thinner than normal' conventional wings are not really the same thing, the F-89 however did use a decidedly thinner section than the rest and I think this was fairly close to the Miles wing in terms of thickness.
The basic point being there was nothing wrong with Miles reasoning and approach.
That sounds a lot like typical nationalist excuses. British airframe design somewhat lacked behind their much better engine design progress, simple as that.
And that is a sweeping generalisation, it was true of quite a few, but by no means all British airframers. As for nationalist excuse, for what?
Davparlr;
However, I don't think we should downplay the role German research added to post-war fighter development. I changed a lot opinions.
Oh yes. As I said, in the sphere of swept wing aerodynamics (and Delta's)they had clearly taken it much further than anyone else and all the post war builders benefitted massively from their work. This is indisputable. The only downside was that the German research was so compelling that everything that didn't employ swept wings for high speeds (at least in the UK, not sure about the USA as the X-3 was developed) was canned immediately and this was one of the main reasons given for the M.52 being abandoned while the RAE took to designing swept wing research aircraft with German engineers instead.
Krazy Kraut
How thick was the Me 262 wing? I am just tired of people who don't give credit where credit is due, or try to relativize that credit with "our engineers' designs were at least as great". Airframe-wise there was little competition for the Messerschmitt designs in 1945
pretty thin, and I have been giving credit, in my prev post and this one. I have even mentioned specific Messerschmitt designs as examples of advanced design, are you just ignoring those parts of my posts?
Nevertheless, Miles, during 1944/45 designed and developed an ultra thin supersonic wing profile that worked well at both high and low speeds, with its docile low speed characteristices being demonstrated on the aforementioned Gillette Falcon. If this is not an example of advanced aerodynamics what is?
What is wrong with giving a little credit to non German designers, is it a concept you cannot accept?
There were plans for the 262 that would've moved the engines to the fuselage, very similar to the Canuck. In this configuration I think it could've been very competitive until the early 50s.
Agreed, this model (was it the HG.III?) was very close indeed to the layout for future twinjets like the Buccaneer and A-6 intruder amongst others. All it really needed was to move the cockpit to the nose from midships and I think it would have looked at home in any 1950-1955 air force inventory.
We will not agree on the Me 163 so I'll just leave it at that. The point was that the D.H.108 was no longer very advanced as an airframe in 1946 as the Me 163 (and arguably the Go 229) had all of its distinctive features years before. One might even argue if it had existed in its form at all if it wasn't for the Me 163.
I think it would, due to the fact that it was built as a small scale test vehicle for an airliner that was intended to be produced after the war. I don't think DH would have set out in 1944 to build the DH 106 as a tailless swept wing jetliner based on reports of a secret German fighter.
Delycross;
The Su-9 (soviet Me-262 inspired plane)
It is stunning how much the Su-9 looks like the Me 262 in the famous side view photo of it, however have you looked at the design as a whole? If you take off the engines it looks nothing like the German fighter, this point is emphasised when you see the Su-11, this aircraft has been re-engined (and generally beefed up but not had its outline altered much) and with its 'Meteor' style nacelles looks nothing at all like the Me 262. The Su-9 likeness stems entirely from the engines, a poor reason for the Sov AF to end up flying the execrable MiG 9, I think you'll agree. Good old Uncle Joe
