He111 H21 had the Jumo 213?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wiking85

Staff Sergeant
Jul 30, 2012
Chicagoland Area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_111#Variants
He 111 H-16
Fitted with Jumo 211 F-2 engines and increased defensive armament of MG 131 machine guns, twin MG 81Zs, and a MG FF cannon.

He 111 H-20
Defensive armament similar to H-16, but some aircraft feature power-operated dorsal turrets.

He 111 H-20/R3
Was a night bomber.

He 111 H-21
Based on the H-20/R3, but with Jumo 213 E-1 engines.

Does anyone have any information about this version of the He 111? What year was it in service, how many were in service, and was it successful at all?

Jumo 213 engine production was small prior to 1944. By then Germany was cancelling most bomber programs except for Ju-88/Ju-188. So I doubt the Jumo 213 powered He-111 stood much of a chance for mass production.

There were only 22 Heinkel He111-H21 produced in late spring and early summer of 1944. The production run ended early, due to the FW190D having priority on the engines.

I believe they were only used by KG4, when based in Hungary, in summer 1944. I'd need to check further regarding operational details, but I don't think I have that info, as my interests are mainly the northern ETO.

I believe they were only used by KG4, when based in Hungary, in summer 1944. I'd need to check further regarding operational details, but I don't think I have that info, as my interests are mainly the northern ETO.

I appreciate any info you can find. What sources are you using?
Also, were they used as night bombers?

Mainly off the top of my head, from memory. I do have a couple of books on the He111, including a couple from the Osprey range, Kagero, and Squadron/Signal, plus general volumes, but as mentioned, my main interest is North West Europe, and with this aircraft it's for the BoB period.
From what I remember from the books, not much detail is given, in any of them, regarding the H21 and it's deployment, apart from being in Hungary with KG4 (One photo shows what appears to be a patchy snow camouflage over the basic scheme, which would suggest daylight ops), and the various texts move on to the H22 and other variants.
When I get a chance, if I find anything, I'll post it, but it might be some time before I can.

There were no H-21 built, they may have been re-engined older versions or they were counted as H-20 in the production records sent to RLM.
There was no operational Jumo 213E in early 44 either so at best they would have got the 213A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back