He277: Promising? Or further development of a bad apple?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1930s Germany had no "will" for a protracted war period. That didn't change until the USA entered the conflict during December 1941. By then it was too late for Germany to establish the industrial and training base necessary for a large force of heavy bombers. From 1941 onward most German war production was required just to maintain 200 or so Heer divisions in combat, along with their supporting Luftwaffe fighter and CAS units.

Exactly. Which makes the whole question regarding whether or not the "He-277" was worth perfecting a moot point. To have had a fully adequate force of heavy bombers (or dedicated long-range maritime bombers), the entire "Bomber A" program should have been given a higher priority and not be focused on "advancing the state of the art" so much. The USA and UK did just fine with late 1930's technology in the Lanc and B-17 thank you very much.

Speaking of jury-rigged heavy bombers, I've always wondered why the RLM did not promote the He-111Z as a possible long-range offensive maritime bomber. From everything I've heard, it was an amazingly successful adaptation, based on a very reliable and successful medium bomber, was available (in the form of He-111 components), and - other than the zwilling concept itself - introduced no radical and unproven innovations.

USA and UK did just fine with late 1930's technology in the Lanc and B-17 thank you very much
I wouldn't go that far. RAF Bomber Command and U.S. 8th Air Force contributed little towards winning the war during 1939 to 1943 yet they were very expensive. If the same amount of money had been used to develop and purchase superior CAS aircraft the Normandy invasion might have been possible during 1943.

I wouldn't go that far. RAF Bomber Command and U.S. 8th Air Force contributed little towards winning the war during 1939 to 1943 yet they were very expensive. If the same amount of money had been used to develop and purchase superior CAS aircraft the Normandy invasion might have been possible during 1943.

My point was not that heavy bombers were a better choice for waging the war in Europe than more and better close air support planes...only that the Lanc and B-17 proved to be more than adequate heavy bombers throughout WW2 even though they were fairly old designs - and that by extension a simple and relatively "old-fashioned" heavy bomber might have given the Luftwaffe better service.

Actually, I agree with you that the entire US/British emphasis on strategic bombing may not have been the best overall allocation of effort. The US, at least, had the industrial capability to build tens of thousands of heavy bombers and still fill the skies with fighters and flood Europe with Sherman tanks. Germany, on the other hand did not have this ability. Probably whatever effort the Germans put into the design and production of any heavy bomber came at the expense of equipment much more sorely needed in the East.

Exactly. Which makes the whole question regarding whether or not the "He-277" was worth perfecting a moot point. To have had a fully adequate force of heavy bombers (or dedicated long-range maritime bombers), the entire "Bomber A" program should have been given a higher priority and not be focused on "advancing the state of the art" so much. The USA and UK did just fine with late 1930's technology in the Lanc and B-17 thank you very much.

Speaking of jury-rigged heavy bombers, I've always wondered why the RLM did not promote the He-111Z as a possible long-range offensive maritime bomber. From everything I've heard, it was an amazingly successful adaptation, based on a very reliable and successful medium bomber, was available (in the form of He-111 components), and - other than the zwilling concept itself - introduced no radical and unproven innovations.

Why protect a bomber that flies higher than any Allied interceptor, ie 49,200ft?

The French AAS 01, which had been developed during the war as the He-274 had less powerful 1,750hp DB 603 A-2 engines than the He-277B-5 with 1,900hp DB 603G engines. Even the underpowered He-274 could reach a service ceiling of 46,905ft.

He277B5.jpg

Why protect a bomber that flies higher than any Allied interceptor, ie 49,200ft?
Why bother trying to intercept a WWII era bomber flying at 49,000ft? Even today you cannot hit anything from that height using iron bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back