Hellcat vs Spitfire - which would you take?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What the hell is a sock puppet?

Someone who sets up multiple accounts with different logins and ip addresses. Often when they have been banned also sometimes done so that they can agree with themselves when they are losing an argument.

I reckon that a member who was banned recently was a sock puppet who has been banned at least twice in the past on this forum and has been banned multiple times on 2 other forums I lurk on. I wont name him because he is a special ops undercover agent for International Rescue and he might come round one night and kill me with his mighty ninja keyboard skills.

Erm respectfully got to 100% disagree with you on that one Adler. I am a computer moron but I could create sock puppets quite easily unfortunately trolls can create sock puppets using various tricks, a quick google brings up plenty of ways the saddoes can do it. Sock puppet creators often use the same tricks paedophiles use to cover there tracks.

Yes it can be done, but there are features in place that catch most of them.

That "One plane, one kill. No shared kills" might have led to some pulling of rank cases when in some other a/fs where shared kills were allowed, the kill might have been simply shared.
IIRC at least Barkhorn was deemed so reliable claimer that later in his caree he didn't necessarily need a witness and he still remained very reliable claimer, maybe with exception the time when he was nearing his 300.
As you know at least some of the LW stars got their medals within days when their claims reached the number of kills needed to certain medal. I have never heard that anyone of them was later informed that"sorry, but the confirmation process didn't accept some of your claims so after all you are not allowed your medal. Give it back, please".
True yes. I do agree that those rules were not 'set in stone' so to speak. Its like when Marsielle went to go find the Hurricane he shot down. I guess he wanted his tally to expedite the process to make the 100 victory club. Then theres others like Hartmann, who had to wait some time to get there medals. I've also seen photos of kill marks on rudders, where the kill that was suppose to get there awards, had a "?" mark where the victory bar was suppose to be. Indicating its been a long time.

If the pilot said, "I mean it, I mean it, I mean it, I mean it," only then would I trust it. Oh, if it's in Wikipedia, too.

I wont name him because he is a special ops undercover agent for International Rescue and he might come round one night and kill me with his mighty ninja keyboard skills.

Hey, wait a minute! That bum must have stolen my resume! I hate it when that happens.
Just so you all can sleep soundly at night, I promise to reduce the danger from my mighty ninja keyboard skills by typing with one hand only.
Oh, please let me know if anyone still gets keyboard-related injuries. If so, I will type with only one finger.
You are welcome.

Hey, wait a minute! That bum must have stolen my resume! I hate it when that happens.
bitch-slap-bitch-slap-demotivational-poster-1202681530.gif

Even under new identities, banned members usually rear their ugly heads because most of the time they never correct the reason they were banned in the first place.

Attitude and poor netiquette.

Yeah, the Gestapo will catch them.

Just teasing. You're doing a fine job. Stay in there and pitch.

Hellcat won the war in the Pacific and Spitfire has managed to survive in a battle took place in its own turf.
In terms of impact definitely the Hellcat is the greater legend .

A bit biased are you not. Seems to me you just have a problem with anything that comes from that Island to your north.

To say that the Spitfire just managed to survive, and that it had less of an impact on the war is pretty ridiculous.

A bit biased are you not. Seems to me you just have a problem with anything that comes from that Island to your north.

To say that the Spitfire just managed to survive, and that it had less of an impact on the war is pretty ridiculous.

Less impact than Hellcat and I'm certainly not alone on this. I don't have the exact figures but Hellcat must have destroyed more enemy aircraft than Spitfire. As I said, Hellcat won a huge war in the Pacific more decisively than the Spitfire won a battle and that is the difference. I don't think this is a biased opinion.

Less impact than Hellcat and I'm certainly not alone on this. I don't have the exact figures but Hellcat must have destroyed more enemy aircraft than Spitfire. As I said, Hellcat won a huge war in the Pacific more decisively than the Spitfire won a battle and that is the difference. I don't think this is a biased opinion.

To use a term you seem so eager to use...

Apples and Oranges

The Spitfire had a major impact on the European Theater of operations. Much more than the Hellcat did in Europe. It managed more than just surviving in the BoB. Without the Hurricane and Spitfire, the RAF might have been destroyed by the Luftwaffe. No England in the war, no place for the allies to stage their invasion from to rescue your country.

Sure the Hellcat had more of an impact in the PTO, but the Spitfire had more in the ETO. So again, apples and oranges. At least in the regards that you are trying to compare them.

Think about it a bit...

And while your at it, try not disrespect your friends to the north so much.

Daer I suggest that the Spitfire was there when the war was to be won - but the Hellcat wasn't?

That is to say, by the time the Hellcat showed up the tide of war in the Pacific had already turned against the Japanese.

The war in the Pacific was, on the Allies side, won by efforts of the men in P-38/39/40, F4F, Hurricane, SBD2, Catalinas, just to name a few. Once the F6F arrived in numbers (late 1943), the IJN's mighty spear was nothing more than a stick, and F6F indeed helped great deal to shatter stick to pieces. Not to take away anything from F6F.
Spitfire did it's task in around Europe, far earlier than F6F did it's in Pacific.

You can also say the Spitfire won the war in the desert!

Without the Spitfire, the Bf 109 had clearly the upperhand on the Hurricane and P40, this changed after the arriving of the Spitfire in numbers.

Agree and if we believe König, especially the arrival of mk IX changed the game for 109 pilots.

The Bf109 shot down more aircraft than the Hellcat and Spit combined. Therefore it was a better aircraft and won the war single handed. Oops no it didnt impact is not measured by statistics. No Hellcat and US Corsairs, Wildcats and P38s still stomp on Japan. No Spitfire (backed up by the essential Hurricane) and Germany might get to stomp on Britain, if not full defeat then Britain gets to be a vassal state and signs her life away. No Unsinkable Aircraft Carrier, no Fortress Brittania, no invasion of Europe and a new Dark Age spreads over Europe it might be under a Swastika or it might be under a Red Star who knows. Whichever flag Europe is doomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back