Hello

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LewisLorenz

Recruit
Jun 18, 2018
Just joined today. I haven't had time to explore everything here yet, but can't wait to do so.

I am trying to gather historical information on my dad, Charles Barnard Lorenz, who died in 2002. During the years preceding his death his ability to communicate deteriorated making it difficult to get much information from him about his career in the USAAF during the war.

He was a member of the 394th Fighter Squadron of the 367th Fighter Group during the year that the Group moved from England to Germany (May 1944 to May 1945). He purchased Richard Groh's book, The Dynamite Gang: The 367th Fighter Group in World War II, which he read thoroughly and made many notations. He was an ordnance officer (1st Lt.), he was not a pilot, and he was not named in the book, which is not unsurprising considering the large number of support personnel necessary to make that Group work. I am trying to find out something about his time with the 367th.

Are there resources such as personnel rosters, etc., that would help fill in some of the details of his time in?

Thanks.

Just joined today. I haven't had time to explore everything here yet, but can't wait to do so.

I am trying to gather historical information on my dad, Charles Barnard Lorenz, who died in 2002. During the years preceding his death his ability to communicate deteriorated making it difficult to get much information from him about his career in the USAAF during the war.

He was a member of the 394th Fighter Squadron of the 367th Fighter Group during the year that the Group moved from England to Germany (May 1944 to May 1945). He purchased Richard Groh's book, The Dynamite Gang: The 367th Fighter Group in World War II, which he read thoroughly and made many notations. He was an ordnance officer (1st Lt.), he was not a pilot, and he was not named in the book, which is not unsurprising considering the large number of support personnel necessary to make that Group work. I am trying to find out something about his time with the 367th.

Are there resources such as personnel rosters, etc., that would help fill in some of the details of his time in?

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck on your search.

I found some enlistment records which I believe are your father's, but I will direct message you as they contain very specific information. I feel pretty good about them as they mention the Ordnance Department!

1. The most promising lead besides the enlistment records is a website dedicated to the Group:
367TH FIGHTER GROUP - P38 and P47 VETERANS OF WORLD WAR 2

There is an e-mail address listed there for one of the organizers of the group. I'd highly recommend contacting him if you haven't already done so. He's actively seeking information about veterans of the Group, so he may be able to put you in touch with veterans from the Squadron or their families. Personal stories which haven't been written down don't show up on internet searches.

2. The American Air Museum in Britain has a nice, brief page dedicated to the group. It includes some pictures, a brief history, as well as the Group's OOB (Order of Battle). The OOB is a helpful framework to understand how your father's Squadron fit into the USAAF.

9th Air Force
  • 70th Fighter Wing
    • 367th Fighter Group
      • HQ
      • 392nd Fighter Squadron
      • 393rd Fighter Squadron
      • 394th Fighter Squadron

Here is a nice example of your dad's squadron patch (I'm sure you've seen this before):
394th.jpeg

Source: American Air Museum in Britain

3. Use the information I will send you and submit an official request for your father's military records online at Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax .
Unfortunately, a 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis destroyed 75-80% of the US Army, Air Corps, Army Air Force, and Air Force records from the WW1 era through the 1950's. It's still worth trying though, as you have a chance to obtain detailed records.

4. There is the website Fold3 (run by Ancestry.com). It's a paid service, but it's another source of potential records.

5. These are some very good ideas about potential sources of information:

a. [National Archives instructions as described earlier in item #3.]

b. Check with the state historical society and the state veteran museum where he lived before or after the war, they may have some records about him or his unit.

c. Check with the local historical society where he lived when he entered the military. Many communities kept pretty good information about local Soldiers during wartime. Some communities compiled this information and published books detailing local Veterans' experiences.

d. Check with the local VA office where he lived after he returned from the war. If he applied for any of the VA benefits that he earned, then they should have a file on him, which would contain some information about his military service. If he did not survive the war but had dependents, you can still try this because his dependents may have been able to use some of the benefits he earned.

e. The county courthouse where he lived after the war may also be a resource. Today in the military we are encouraged to file our separation documents at our local courthouse, that way there will always be a certified copy of these important documents if we lose our personal copy. I do not know how far back this practice started, but it is worth a try. During WWII the separation document was usually "WD AGO FORM 53-55". I do not think there was a specific form for this during WWI, because my great-grandfather's separation document was a simple, half page memorandum.

f. Search through the old, local newspapers where he lived when he entered the military. Local Soldiers often made the local paper, more often in small towns, but sometimes in large cities as well. This can be time consuming, yet very rewarding. If you do not live in the same community he lived in at that time, you can obtain copies of these newspapers on microfilm through an interlibrary loan at your local library. Plus, everyday more and more newspaper archives can be found on the internet.

g. If he belonged to the VFW, American Legion, or some other Veteran's organization, then it is possible that someone at the local post might have known him and might be able to provide some useful information. Some posts maintain detailed information about their current and past members, some posts do not.

h. Check with family, even distant relatives. Some relative might have letters, mementos, records, or other pertinent information your Veteran sent home during the war. Some relative may also have a scrap book of newspaper clippings or other mementos.

I will send you the enlistment info shortly....

Thanks.

Hi Lewis,

I have 2 different rosters of the 367th FG. One by squadron and one by US states. I can find your father Charles B. Lorenz on the first one. The men on the roster by state were the men who joined the 367th FG association. Maybe he never contacted this association of former men of the 367th FG.

Olivier

Hi Lewis,

I have 2 different rosters of the 367th FG. One by squadron and one by US states. I can find your father Charles B. Lorenz on the first one. The men on the roster by state were the men who joined the 367th FG association. Maybe he never contacted this association of former men of the 367th FG.

Olivier
Thank you.

I doubt he would have joined the association. Does the roster contain any information other than name? Is it available for access somewhere?

Thank you.

I doubt he would have joined the association. Does the roster contain any information other than name? Is it available for access somewhere?

Hi Lewis,
The roster contains only names. No ranks nor function within the outfit. I'll send it to you by MP anyway.
In my documentation I have 2 other armament officers for the 394th FS : Lt. Vincent Moschetta and Lt. Donald F. Galley. It was not rare to have another assigment (change from one squadron to the headquarter for example) or to be sent to another unit.
Olivier

I received that info. Thank you. Is there a site where I can access this info on my own to look up other people?

Don't be surprised if the 90 days grows. The Air Force Historical Research Agency is a possible further source but their response times have grown to around 5-6 months and you should first try www.airforcehistoryindex.org. My last email from AFHRA says

You may be able to locate some of the documents you seek by searching an unofficial finding aid located at: www.airforcehistoryindex.org.
Simply follow the instructions on conducting searches and you should be able to locate abstracts listing a variety of information which you can then order on compact disk.
When I searched under "----" I located over 20 items, a sample which is attached. I underlined the CD numbers to help you if you wish to order any.
If you wish to order any documents, please contact xxx at the email xx@us.af.mil.
We no longer have the staff to conduct detailed searches for requestors, but you have to tools to conduct your own research. If you haven't already done so, you may also wish to contact the National Archives to see what records they may have relating to xxxx.
I hope this is helpful.

In the past the assistance from these great people has been excellent but obviously budget cuts have slashed their already overworked staff.

Be thankful you are not dealing with JPAC. They have the staff but are notorious for never providing information despite legislation requiring a 20 day response time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back