help for a recreation?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

joker_86z28

Airman
Dec 1, 2012
I recently found out a family member of mine was a gunner and radio operator on a Ford-built B24H, S/N 42-94791 from the 831st Sdn, 485th Bomb Group, 15th Air Force is "Rough Deal Lucille during WW2. I was wondering if I could maybe commission someone to build it?Here is what I have. His name was Wallace R Bellonger (sometimes misspelled as Bellanger).
roughd10.jpg

roughd11.jpg

color was olive drab, another nickname for the bird was "red G" as is the pic the red 'g' on the waist.

Last edited:
One of the issues will be shipping the model to you so your location will be helpful. I'm sure there are a few who will be happy to help here but getting the finished model to you will be the biggest hurdle unless someone is close by.

true, im in colorado springs colorado.

as long as shipping isnt over $150 usd I think im good. Not sure how to go about asking and is this the right part of the forum to ask for this?

If my B-24 wasn't as far along as it is, I woulda finished it as your Lucille.
I think for this kind of request it is okey dokey.

Maybe a couple of people could volunteer?
One to build, unpainted. It could be shipped easily with wings and tail unattached.
Someone nearer could assemble and paint and deliver.
Just thinkin out loud.

A good kit would cost around 40 bucks USD.

Just have to wait and see.
Good luck.

thanks for the replies. I was thinking 1/72 scale, going to look on the bay for one. Just know for the detail I'd like i'm no where near that level lol.

Well, sorry I can't help you out. As much as I'd love to do a commission build, I don't think I can commit the time at the moment. Nor am I convinced I can get the moel to you in the sme number of pieces that I shipped!

I've been looking at the power To make you and at first there was no problem but the question of costs is more problematic, the plane is very large and even more fragile so the shipping is very expensive from my home, more than double of what you say for shipping, I hope you get lucky and find someone.

I recently found out a family member of mine was a gunner and radio operator on a Ford-built B24H, S/N 42-94791 from the 831st Sdn, 485th Bomb Group, 15th Air Force is "Rough Deal Lucille during WW2. I was wondering if I could maybe commission someone to build it?Here is what I have. His name was Wallace R Bellonger (sometimes misspelled as Bellanger).
View attachment 439085
View attachment 439086
color was olive drab, another nickname for the bird was "red G" as is the pic the red 'g' on the waist.

Would you happen to have any history on this crew?

View attachment 439085
View attachment 439086

I realize this thread is old, but I'd like to add some information regarding the aircraft and crew. Capt. Chester Ballengee was the pilot of 42-94791. The radioman and waist gunner was in fact my late uncle, TSgt (E6) Gerald Howard. My uncle "pulled the short straw" to name the aircraft when the crew picked it up, and he named it "Rough Deal Lucille" after his sister, my late mother, Lucille (Howard) Smith. Uncle Gerald became a union welder after the war, mostly working out of the Chicago local, married my aunt Linda and had two daughters, now both nurses. Gerald Howard passed away at age 94 in 2017. Aunt Linda survives at age 79.

My mother Lucille was a commercial subjects high school teacher and passed away at age 90 in 2015. Mom taught typing and shorthand during the 1943, 44, and 45 school years on an emergency certificate upon graduation from high school herself in June, 1943. After that, she got her degree, then worked in a secretarial pool, had me and my sister, and then started teaching in the 1963 school year, retiring in 1989.

I have attached a photo of the original Ballengee crew with crew names, and the replacement Barnholt crew who took over after the Ballengee crew served their 50 missions. I've also included another photo of the nose art and two crew members. Finally, there's a photo of Mom and Uncle Gerald on leave at their parents' home in Johnsonburg, PA shortly after his Advanced Training when he was an E4 and prior to deployment to Italy.

Brian Smith

Attachments

• RDL Original Crew Names.JPG
    RDL Original Crew Names.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ROUGHDEALLUCILLE2.jpg
    ROUGHDEALLUCILLE2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 10
  • RDL Replacement Crew Names.JPG
    RDL Replacement Crew Names.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Gerald and Lucille  (2).jpg
    Gerald and Lucille (2).jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 10
I realize this thread is old, but I'd like to add some information regarding the aircraft and crew. Capt. Chester Ballengee was the pilot of 42-94791. The radioman and waist gunner was in fact my late uncle, TSgt (E6) Gerald Howard. My uncle "pulled the short straw" to name the aircraft when the crew picked it up, and he named it "Rough Deal Lucille" after his sister, my late mother, Lucille (Howard) Smith. Uncle Gerald became a union welder after the war, mostly working out of the Chicago local, married my aunt Linda and had two daughters, now both nurses. Gerald Howard passed away at age 94 in 2017. Aunt Linda survives at age 79.

My mother Lucille was a commercial subjects high school teacher and passed away at age 90 in 2015. Mom taught typing and shorthand during the 1943, 44, and 45 school years on an emergency certificate upon graduation from high school herself in June, 1943. After that, she got her degree, then worked in a secretarial pool, had me and my sister, and then started teaching in the 1963 school year, retiring in 1989.

I have attached a photo of the original Ballengee crew with crew names, and the replacement Barnholt crew who took over after the Ballengee crew served their 50 missions. I've also included another photo of the nose art and two crew members. Finally, there's a photo of Mom and Uncle Gerald on leave at their parents' home in Johnsonburg, PA shortly after his Advanced Training when he was an E4 and prior to deployment to Italy.

Brian Smith
Thankscfor sharing.

Hello! I'm sorry I'm just finding this post after researching my grandfather, Paul Obrien who was the navigator on rough deal Lucille's first crew. Attached is his flight journal for anyone interested in reading - it's an amazing record. Thanks!

Sean

Attachments

• Dad'sWWIIDiary.pdf
    11 MB · Views: 9
Hello! I'm sorry I'm just finding this post after researching my grandfather, Paul Obrien who was the navigator on rough deal Lucille's first crew. Attached is his flight journal for anyone interested in reading - it's an amazing record. Thanks!

Sean
I've just watched the first two episodes of "Masters of the Air" and then seen your post. After reading the notes your grandfather wrote, it brings home the reality of what I have just watched. Thanks for sharing. :thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back