Looking for a Good Micro-Drill Set

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Years ago, I bought myself a micro-drill set in gauges #61 to 80 for use in my pin vice. They SUCK! The smaller bits, if you look at them under magnification, are simply snipped to length and there is no sharpened point so they don't drill holes worth a damn. That's not good if you call yourself a drill bit.

Does anyone know of a good quality micro-drill set that I can get that actually works?

Can't vouch for these Andy but if you hover over the photo for zoom, they do look pointy

They are rated #2 according to this site

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't vouch for these Andy but if you hover over the photo for zoom, they do look pointy

They are rated #2 according to this site

These are the ones I use but find hard to get Down Under particularly at a reasonable price. I purchased a whole Carbide Micro-miniature set size #79 to 1.75mm (that's 25 sizes up through the scale) some 10 years back, needless to say I suffered breakages particularity with the finer drills and used to replace them from the US but with postage extortion, that had to stop. The last lot I got were the ones shown by George and purchased through Amazon, but haven't used any of these yet as I'm still working with the original set and the US purchased replacements. :thumbright: :D

I also have this along with the Tamiya pin vice. These are expensive but excellent. I bought a couple sets of the tungsten bit sets and while good, they break if you look at them for more than a second.

Tamiya 300074044 74044 Drill Bit Set 0.3/0.4/0, 5/0.8
https://a.co/d/a1t9WEs

Hi all. Thanks for your replies. The set that I'm trying to find an alternate for looks like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Accusize-TWIST-MINI-DRILL-EXP1-1521/dp/B01KW3LNPU. I love the dispenser but the bits are terrible. The key for me is ensure that the tips are ground to a point and symmetrical, something that I'd expect from a high quality set but am not sure is actually achieved by makers. The smaller sizes in my set (less than say #70) are all randomly cut to length and there's no apparent attempt at creating a cutting tip. As a result, there's minimal drill action and it takes a lot of twisting in my pin vice to get anywhere.

I might make a trip to a local jeweller supply store and ask the owner what he has. The downside of that might be price but we'll see.

Hey Andy - late to the party. I found these drills to be OK.
1707737282821.png

They too are a bit random in length, but the ends do seem to be a proper ground drill point.

Failing that - have you tried the Micro Mark website?

I have similar. However if you notice all the drills have a 3mm shank!
This way you don't have to change the chuck in them pesky hand drill holders.
The Red box go from 0.5mm to 2.2mm. Blue box from 1.0mm to 2.0mm.
Probably got these in 2010, broke the 0.5mm last year. I have replaced it
with a box of the PCBoard drills with the colored collars. Shanks are a tad bit larger.
Micro drills.jpg

These might work for you, depending on what you consider expensive? McMaster-Carr is a large supply company and may have an outlet in your area.

"McMaster-Carr"

Total cost for #80 thru #50 in 4x sets would be $63.40 USD + tax (if any?) + shipping.
NOTE that you can view the drill geometry by clicking on the part number.

For individual bits of various quality:

"McMaster-Carr"

If you are only using them for plastic and thin aluminum or brass they should work quite well.

I use this type of drill for at home small work:

Short Flute Jobber-Length "McMaster-Carr"

or

Short Flute Stub-Length "McMaster-Carr"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back