Help Identify this WWII aircraft please ;>

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zubbie

Recruit
Oct 3, 2012
I've been searching images of WWII aircraft until my eyes burn but can't seen to positively identify the aircraft in the picture. It is from a postcard I own with no indication of the type of plane shown. The photo was taken @ 1943 (unverified) and my grandfather is in the white overalls. At the time he was working for Hawker Siddeley as an Aircraft engineer. My guess is that it is a test plane as I don't see any markings although it cold be just about anything (even foreign). I spy a 3 blade prop, signs of piston engine exhaust and a very odd canopy structure.

Any help would be appreciated as this has been a mystery in my family for decades.

scan0001.JPG

Yep, it's a Henley. Here's what they looked like (this one's a prototype), though mostly used as target tugs, and camouflaged.

Attachments

• Hawker Henley.jpg
    Hawker Henley.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 171
That's great folks, much appreciated. I agree it's a bit of an ugly piece of history and from what I read of the plane it's not a surprise it's crashed on the ground. Gramps is long gone however my father will be pleased to know what it is.

Good link here with details on the plane. (maybe the author is a member here) http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/henley/hawker_henley.htm with the same pic as above.

Attachments

• Henley2.jpg
    Henley2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
From Wiki...

"Production aircraft, designated Henley III, entered service with Nos. 1, 5 and 10 Bombing and Gunnery Schools, as well as with the Air Gunnery Schools at Barrow, Millom and Squires Gate. Unfortunately, it was soon discovered that unless the aircraft were restricted to an unrealistically low tow speed of 220 mph (355 km/h), the rate of engine failures was unacceptably high. This resulted in Henleys being withdrawn from this role and relegated to towing larger drogue targets with anti-aircraft co-operation units. Predictably, the Henley proved to be even more unsuited to this role, and the number of engine failures increased. Several Henleys were lost after the engine cut out and the drogue could not be released quickly enough. A solution was never found to this problem, and in mid-1942 the Henley was withdrawn from service, and replaced by Boulton Paul Defiants, as well as purpose-built Miles Martinets."

Yep, it was a bit of a let down, to say the least.
Yes Glenn, there were many parts common to the Hurricane, the main ones of course being the outer main wing sections, these being direct Hurricane parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back