Help Identify WW2 Spitfire Prop Blade

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aldo81

Recruit
Sep 26, 2023
Hi, I was hoping someone could shed some light on what WW2 aircraft this may have come from by its visible markings. I was told it was from. Supermarine Spitfire but I have no expertise to confirm this.

thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 29
It is a Rotol designed blade.

The RS indicates Jablo wood with Rotoloid covering and a brass leading edge sheath.

[edit] The RS mentioned above was usually used as a suffix (ie [RA10046/RS]) but it looks like they ran out of room or could not get a good stamping.

The JP in JP143148 indicates Jablo Propeller Ltd, a propeller manufacturing company which was owned by Rotol. The 143148 could be the Jablo Propeller Ltd internal blade design number, but this is just a guess. It may be a batch number.

The PP A64262 may be the production batch number.

The four 6-digit numbers in the pink circle (pink for Jablo Propeller Ltd) on the side of the blade are the S/Ns of the different blades indicating a 4-blade propeller. The number 060850 is the S/N for this particular blade as it is duplicated on the bottom of the blade.

[edited to remove incorrect information]

Last edited:
It is a Rotol designed blade.

The RS indicates Jablo wood with Rotoloid covering and a brass leading edge sheath.

The RA100167 is a blade design used on the Seafire Mk 15 & Mk 17 (and maybe other Marks). The RS mentioned above was usually used as a suffix (ie RA100167RS) but it looks like they ran out of room or could not get a good stamping.

The JP in JP143148 indicates Jablo Propeller Ltd, a propeller manufacturing company which was owned by Rotol. The 143148 could be the Jablo Propeller Ltd internal blade design number, but this is just a guess. It may be a batch number.

The PP A54262 may be the production batch number.

The four 6-digit numbers in the pink circle (pink for Jablo Propeller Ltd) on the side of the blade are the S/Ns of the different blades indicating a 4-blade propeller. The number 060850 is the S/N for this particular blade as it is duplicated on the bottom of the blade.

You are an absolute star and a wealth of knowledge in this field. Thank you so much. Is there any way of dating the blade?

If you could find the matching corporate records for production and inspection of the production batch you would have the date of manufacture. Such records may still exist in the corporate or national archives, but I am not aware of anyone mentioning that they had found such.

[edit]

Last edited:
Hello,

Looking at the geometry of the blade, it is designed for a Merlin engine (rotating clockwise when seen from the cockpit, anti-clockwise when seen from the front of the plane) and not a Griffon engine, that rotated the other way. That rules out the Seafire XV or XVII, which were Griffon equipped. So it looks more like a Spitfire VIII or IX propeller, of a Seafire III.

Philippe

DOH! Sorry, I have a difficult time recognizing the direction of rotation from pictures of the blades. If the blade is for a Merlin, then I may have read the blade design number wrong. It may be 10046/ instead of 100167, If so then it is probable that PhilHoff is correct.

Last edited:
Thank you PhilHoff and to everyone else for your help. Its been extremely valuable. So would it be fair to assume this prop blade would be dated somewhere around 1942 and more than likely used in the war effort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back