Help identifying Canadian grandpa's WWII plane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lillikitch

Recruit
Dec 4, 2022
Hello everyone
My grandpa flew bomber planes in WWII for the RCAF and we recently discovered an old bag of photos he had. One of the photos is the one below, presumably taken while he was in the air.

It's blurry but is anyone here able to suggest what kind of plane he might have been in from this engine picture?

Thank you!

20221204_134059.jpg

Sorry, his name was D. M. Lillicrap, although they misspelled his last name in his dog tags (Lilicrap).

I went through tons of the 420 ORBs today and I couldn't see his name anywhere. Maybe we got the squadron wrong...

Go and post on the RAF Commands forum, General Category. There are people on that forum who are experienced In determining this information.

Jim

Hello everyone
My grandpa flew bomber planes in WWII for the RCAF and we recently discovered an old bag of photos he had. One of the photos is the one below, presumably taken while he was in the air.

It's blurry but is anyone here able to suggest what kind of plane he might have been in from this engine picture?

Thank you!

View attachment 697247
I think that's a Halifax. The air scoop on the top is similar to that of the Short Stirling too though. Here's a picture of a Halifax: https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.C5VAw9F_WasuV2Tj9FxfGwHaE8?pid=ImgDet&rs=1
Here's a link to an image of a Short Stirling:

Last edited:
Since the Wellington was a four-engine bomber? Although the pic is blurry it can be seen that there are two radial engines attached to the starboard wing. Even the image would be reveresed there still would be two engines per a wing.

engines.jpg

I think that's a Halifax. The air scoop on the top is similar to that of the Short Stirling too though. Here's a picture of a Halifax: https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.C5VAw9F_WasuV2Tj9FxfGwHaE8?pid=ImgDet&rs=1
Here's a link to an image of a Short Stirling:

For sure it is the Halifax bomber what already has been stated by herman1rg in the post #2. It can be noticed that there is a small scoop at the back of the carburettor air intake of the inboard engine at the top of the cowling. The outer one doesn't have it. The kind of the small scoops and the same layout for the starboard wing of the bomber can be found in pics of the NA337 restored and displayed at the RCAF Memorial Museum. Also the same can be found in the B&W image below.

Halifax-NA337_a.jpg

Halifax-NA337_b.jpg

Halifax_c.jpg

Neither the Stirling with the short air intakes nor with the long ( especially these long air intakes if compared to those of the Halifax ) had such small scoops there.

stirling_a.jpg

stirling_b.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back