Help. Im beginer. Not sure how to paint

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After reading this thread carefully, I feel the need to chime in on a few ill advised comments.

Spray with one heavy coat? This is one ill advised advice. Not only you're making it look worse (no it does not eat away the existing coat underneath!), you 'll end up waiting for days for it to dry - IF it even dries at all. If you want to do that, you might as well toss the kit and start anew.

There's one reason why your painting session looked like utter crap - you're spraying too close to the model. Pull back at least a foot or more away. Don't stay in one spot too long. Keep moving back and forth. Spray in several light coats until you're satisfied with the coverage. Two or three light coats is suffice. Let dry COMPLETELY between coats. No need to stick rattle can under hot or warm water. It does nothing to improve the paint flow.

Sanding to get rid of the botched heavy coat. Why? Dip in solvent that will help remove the paint for you. Easy Off, Motor oil, and what not. Just make sure you soak in detergent before doing any painting.

The comment regarding never to paint other enamels brands over your chosen enamels you're using? What's the difference? They're all the same no matter the brand. Enamel is enamel.

Priming - that is up to the individual. Some don't, some do. I like to soak my sprues in mild detergent before using primer. This helps remove any residual oils from the molds at the factory. Let it dry then prime. My go-to primer is rattle can Rustoleum wet/dry sandable primer. It lays down really nice and smooth when you spray in light coats.

And finally the old adage of "get an airbrush". I agree up to a point - IF you can afford one along with an air compressor. I started out using rattle can spray paints and never had issues. In fact, my kits came out pretty good using rattle can spray paints.

If you do decide to get one, get a starter airbrush to start with. Start out with a cheap Testors brand airbrush - or even a Masters brand or Harbor Frieght brand airbrush. But for the love of God, don't waste your time on those canned air for your airbrush. They also have air compressors as well. I got mine through TCP Global for $80.

Learn how to use one, know the paint to thinner ratio that works for you, and more importantly (and I can't stress this enough) LEARN how to disassemble and clean your airbrush thoroughly!!! Once you get the understanding and know how and confidence in using one, upgrade to a better expensive brand airbrush.

Another nice investment is buy (or build your own) is an airbrush spray paint booth. I got mine at TCP Global for around $90.

When you're ready to paint, start with a cheap kit or flat surface (styrofome cups. plastic spoons/forks, etc..) Take your time and go slow. Don't rush into it. Over time you will get the hang of it. This hobby is suppose to be relaxing, Why rush trying to get a kit done in one day?

Read Parsifal's post. He's made some very good recommendations. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect.

We use oils. You can do one heavy coat with them and it looks FANTASTIC! We use them specifically so we DO NOT have to do all the extra steps acrylic users are forced to go through. Reference the video of the painting master I posted. One thick brushed on coat even and it looks marvelous! I sanded mine to show him that you can do it if you want to and it's fast and looks just fine in spite of being told it couldn't be done! CAN BE DONE! See! There are many ways to do a model. There is not just one method that EVERYONE HAS to follow. And since I showed it being done, well; Wow! Huh? :)

P.S. I never said anything about brands! I said painting enamel over enamel as a priming idea was something I was taught never to do because the THINNER in enamel can eat the bottom coat if you don't let them dry for a long time. You CAREFULLY read all this? You better go back and do it again before running your suck and calling me out when you haven't shown a darn thing! Who are you man? I see you tearing my advice down and yet you DIDN'T read it carefully and totally IGNORE all the PROOF I posted that it works just fine! Who are you again pal? It sounds to me like someone is jealous of being show just how NOT COMPLICATED this can be! Go watch PLASMO. He does it the easy and hard way and BOTH look good! Sorry about that chip on your shoulder. Did I sleep with your wife or something man? Sorry!

Last edited:
Here is a nice extreme close-up of the re-spray after sanding. Are those panel lines? Oh! I think they are! It looks GREAT! BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Anymore "ADVICE" you'd like to spit out Sheep? I didn't think so!

20180217_142426 1.jpg

Really Superfire!? You want to bring up my wife? Fuck off and be careful when bringing up somebody else's spouse. Just so you know since it's none of your fucking business, my wife is seriously ill and prefer not to divulge any information about this. You've stepped over the line. As for the mods, ban me if you want. I really don't give a shit anymore.

Listen, BUD, I have no idea who you are. If you think I was actually insulting your wife, or even knew you had one, you're a lunatic! You shot your mouth off, and I sat you right down on your behind! Anything else is in your head pal! You were being unhelpful from the get-go. Learn some manners, or I'll teach you some manners. Ya' hear?

Guy comes in here, saying "Wow...Just wow..." Then comes back and rips up what I laid down saying he "read everything carefully" when it's obvious from his own words he didn't read much of anything and ignored the video and photo proof of what I said. Then gets schooled after letting the first one slide, and tries to play the victim. Nah, that dog don't hunt!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back