Help!! LEMB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Tomo.

I like the occasional "what-if" when there was an obvious possibility of doing it, but not the ones that are off into the mushrooms.

For instance, there is no possibility of inventing the Ta-152 any sooner unless something else was given up to do it. The "something else" has to have been an aircraft program at the FW company or else it would not help. They never tell you what would be given up to make something else happen sooner. Engines are the same. Yes, they can invent the Jumo 213, any version, sooner. What would they NOT do in order to get that outcome? And what would be the effect on real programs of the thing they didn't do?

At least that is SORT of dealing with the real world.

Example:

What if we never invented the F-111? Then that effort, which took some hours, would be able to develop some other aircraft. So what would General Dynamics be inventing OTHER than the F-111.

What else was funded?

Answer ... nothing. The F-111 effort is what was funded and GD would NOT invest their own money for a pie in the sky alternative. So the real answer is that if they had not responded to the F-111 RFQ, and had not WON it, there would have been layoffs at GD much sooner.

I like LEMB because it is one of few forums which kept its credibility and you can rely on information because "what if" and all the other fantasy threads are not allowed.

:D Appreciate the kind words Mr cimmex... but just to be clear with regards the LEMB's position with regards the sticky subject of "what if's", we do indeed have a sub-forum cunningly called "Projects, Prototypes "What If's" 1933-45" and although the subject doesn't float my boat, I have to say that in the 19 years I've been running the various incarnations of the LEMB, it is the one area (closely followed by discussion on performance curves types vs types) which causes the most amount of friction between members... that doesn't mean to say that the subject isn't interesting, it just needs members to stick with the known facts and keep their ego's in check :p

Cheers
Pete

Of course I know the section Projects, Prototypes with the subforums Bf 109 and Fw190 prototypes but never noticed the "what if" part.
cimmex

I just tried to create an account on the weekend using my full name and still haven't received anything in the email. Is there supposed to be a gap between first and last name or all together as I did?

Geo

Could be due to the Easter holidays George. It's the first four-day Public Holiday in the UK (the weekend, plus Friday and Monday) after New Year's day, and the weather is reasonable (for a change!). I'm guessing the admin, and others, are taking advantage of it !!

Just an observation regarding the "what if" discussion.

A "what if" discussion allows a person to step outside the box for a moment and consider the possibilities. It's never an attempt to rewrite history, but rather examine the various courses that history could have taken. It's human nature to wonder "what could have happened"...we do it all the time.

I know for some, that sort of discussion is unacceptable, but honestly, how many times can you count the headbolts on a Daimler-Benz? I have seen threads degenerate into shouting matches over the rate of climb for a Spitfire just as much as I have seen a "what if" thread fall apart.

Anytime you have two people in a discussion, you'll have two points of view.

Thanks Andy. The last time I registered, there was no notification as to why or why not it wasn't accepted and like spicmart, no way to contact LEMB.

Geo

Patience... Peter's probably on holiday eating Easter eggs and getting chocolate all over his favourite copy of Air Classic's latest Luftwaffe aircraft release... :D

I don't mean to criticize, calling the rules crap is probably overboard, but I don't understand why to make usernames so restrictive.

:lol:

I think I read it on this forum: arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard.

Naw...a person's actual name or a nickname, doesn't matter...they'll still be an a-hole if it's in their nature to be one.

I prefer a nickname to an actual name anyway, it allows for creativity.

Besides, you have a large forum, you'll end up with quite a few people with the same name. The only way to tell them apart is by what, their avatars? :lol:

i agree GG...and those A-holes sometimes pick a name just to get a rise out of people. i can appreciate a forum that keeps the drama and flaming trolling out. it really comes down to the mods....and the ones here sit on people pretty fast. i think that is good. there still gets some heated conversations going...you will always have that.....and its really ok as long as it doesnt get into name calling. he may not have the resources to police like here. then again...its his site he can do as he wishes. i did that when i started a girls fast pitch softball league years ago....i did all the work so i got to make the rules....i was happy...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back