Help needed in identifying this aircraft: rotary engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cooltouch

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
Houston, Texas
I shot this photo probably 25 years ago, and I don't remember the airplane anymore. I'm thinking it was an AT-6, but I'm not sure.

I've been scanning a bunch of old slides and negatives I shot during the 1980s and early 1990s, many of which are from airshows I attended back then. I'm in the process of archiving them to digital format on DVDs and want the info for each photo to be as accurate as possible.

So, if you can nail down this aircraft for me, it would be much appreciated.

radial1.jpg

There's lots more where this came from -- mostly color slides. I'll post some if anyone has an interest.

Best,

Michael

Thanks, D. James! I suspected it was a T-6, but just wasn't entirely sure. Your photos removed the remaining doubt, though.

Glad y'all liked the pic. I've got more :)

Best,

Michael

I'm not trying to be nit-picky, but it's a radial, not a rotary. A rotary would be something like a LeRhone, where the cylinders spin and the crankshaft stays fixed to the firewall. Rotaries went out after the end of WWI, although there are now rotary piston engines (i.e., Wankels) in use.

CD

Yep, a T-6, I have a very similar photo of the CAF SoCal Wing's SNJ "290". They don't have the spinner on it anymore. John Collver also has the real shiny spinner on "War Dog". But I know there are plenty of T-6s out there with shiny spinners.

Attachments

• DSC_3947.jpg
    DSC_3947.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_9607.jpg
    DSC_9607.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 142
Thanks for the correction, CD. I knew "rotary" didn't sound right, just drew a blank. Of course, now, I'm thinking, well duh!

Best,

Michael

No problem. When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be some bi/tri/quadriplane monstrosity from WWI, not something as pleasant as a T-6!

CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back