Help with B25H history

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Found this...

b-25.JPG

b-251.JPG

If it had the "blister" packs, we'd be able to see the end of the barrels, as they extended out to about even with the pilot's shoulder.

I'll have a look at some pics I have to be sure...

B-25 History Project

According to the sn ranges on that page 43-4975 falls toward the end of 25 production and should have guns on both sides. However, found pictures for dog daize, 43-4999 and it does not. Bones, 43-5104, has them on the right side but did not find a picture where they could be seen on the left side. As with many things tho, should have and having can be totally different things.

Sorry guys, I shot my own theory out of the water and you guys where on the right path. The serial number is 43-4975. Below is a list of B-25 serial numbers made. I do have it in a second book to confirm if you want me to scan that as well. This would be a B-25H-10 at least from what both sources show. Source posted below from the book B-25 Mitchell by Kev Darling. Second source I find it in was William Wolfs book. The NAA serial numbers in the book through me off.

As far as the blister packs go I still do not see them but that does not mean it didn't have them. They could have been removed. Been reading a lot about the B-25 as of late and in the Med they where removing the blister packs to save weight as they did more high altitude bombing then in the Pacific. I can scan pictures to show you what I am talking about. Sorry for the confusion, must need my eyes checked LOL
B-25 serial numbers.jpg

Great info Paul (and Geo)!

I find it interesting, though, that we can't nail down Hardy's Grandfather's specific aircraft...it seems like that last block of H airframes seems to be scarcely documented

Thanks, yeah it is weird but there has to be some info some where. Like this it takes time. Interesting thing about the H-10 is the pilots instrument panel was reorganized, the size of the life raft compartment was increased and the brake system control cable was modified. Other than that no other modifications that I can find so far.

Thanks, yeah it is weird but there has to be some info some where. Like this it takes time. Interesting thing about the H-10 is the pilots instrument panel was reorganized, the size of the life raft compartment was increased and the brake system control cable was modified. Other than that no other modifications that I can find so far.
Wasn't it the later H series that had vents in the nose to reduce the pressure built up by the 4 MGs?

I know they had a problem with the earlier series, when the MGs were fired in a longer burst, the gas pressure built up so fast, it blew the cowl open (which really sucked when they were on a strafing pass)

Dave, I've even ventured into the 6th page of Google Search. That's a sign of desperation.

Geo
lol Geo...you know if you quit now, you *might* miss that nugget that's just around the corner! :lol:

Wasn't it the later H series that had vents in the nose to reduce the pressure built up by the 4 MGs?

I know they had a problem with the earlier series, when the MGs were fired in a longer burst, the gas pressure built up so fast, it blew the cowl open (which really sucked when they were on a strafing pass)

Off hand I was thinking those where added to 8 gun sold nose B-25's but that's just a guess. I have read so many changes and variants in the last week that with out looking it back up in the right book I am not for sure :( I just read about a B-25 that had a flame thrower installed in the bomb bay and found it worked but not practical because of how low you had to fly LOL.

Don't give up Geo, we may find something yet :)

Hardy, I didn't see your Granddad's name in any posts but you might get lucky by typing his name into Google. There may be images of him labeled standing his crew or other crews by B-25's can cant be identified. I've tried that on other names and some times lucked out finding it that way then by a specific B-25. Say like B-25 crew Granddads name.

Google hasn't been any help, Quaker Oats comes up way too much.

I believe the site I posted said the 25H-NA had the pressure relief cuts in the hood. I read it somewhere, kinda blurring together.

Free time has been pretty much non existent so I hadn't had a chance to talk to my cousin to see about the journal.

A flamethrower seems like a terrible idea on a bomber. Kind of defeats the purpose of dropping thing that go boom from really high if you have to buzz the ground for a fireball.

Found some unit history that may help in the search...

Mar 21, 44: arrives in theater and assigned to the 10thAF. The group operates from Tezgaon and Kurmitola, Dhaka airdromes.
Apr 16, 44: 12th Medium Bombardment Group theater debut, attack rail station and warehouses at Mohnyin Burma
Jun 20, 44: Join Third Tactical Air Force.

Off to see if I have anything about the Third Tactical Air Force.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back