Help with B25H history

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CBI UNIT HISTORIES

Lots there on the 81st. I know he was involved in Sicily and some in North Africa. From mid 43 on.

So not sure how much help this is but was trying to figure out a time line when the first B-25H's first came out to get and idea on about when the squadrons might have received them.

According to the book by N.L. Avery on the B-25 Mitchell The first B-25H was first accepted in August 1943 and the last B-25H was accepted in July of 1944.

Hardy, I thought you might enjoy this picture and info. From the book B-25 Mitchell at War by Jerry Scotts. Some of your Granddad's squadron mates and info on the ships along with a month on when picture taken :)

a.jpg
B.jpg

d.jpg
So here is another picture of 12th BG, note though the farthest bomber sure looks like the number 17 and its all natural silver like your number 16 plus we have another date of July 1944. This photo and info in the book B-25 Mitchel by Steve Pace

Last edited:
Same BG but 82nd squadron, 7 s/n apart. Note the lack of blister guns again.

b25h.jpg

43-4974 went to the 1st Air Commands.

Geo

Last edited:
That book has some really good pictures, I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy. 16 just doesn't like the camera.

That book has some really good pictures, I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy. 16 just doesn't like the camera.

Hardy, each picture came from a different book except for the last three I posted which came from this website Fold3 - Historical military records which I believe snautzer01 posted on the first page. Below are just a few books I have on the B-25 not including books specific on squadrons.

HPIM3088.JPG

Oh wow. Thank you all for all the work and effort y'all have put into trying to track down his plane, I greatly appreciate it.

For some reason I couldn't see the photos until now but I notice the lack of blister guns on the starboard side as well.

Geo

Yeah not sure why that does that Geo, I can see one now but the other has an X and if I hit refresh the one with the X is now seen and the other one now has the X. Below is a picture of a B-25 that had them removed in the Med to save in weight as they did mostly high altitude bombering and not strafing like in the pacific. So they could of done that on this as well. Picture from the book B-25J in combat over Europe (MTO).

Missing gun pods.jpg

If found clearing my cache helps but not always. Anyhoo....I've about exhausted everything I have. www.scribd.com website has a lot of USAAF documents under the the CAP History Library CAP History Library | Scribd but requires a lot of searching. There are many other military documents depending on what you put in the search box. Good luck with your continued search Hardy. Who knows, one of us may stumble onto to something so don't give up and keep checking in.

Geo

Did we ever get Hardy's Grandfather's name?

Oftentimes a person's name can lead to aircraft assigned via missions or a MACR, a particular event like a noteworthy mission, additional photos or other forms of references.

I don't think we got a name, diffidently would help. I am running out of areas as well but still hoping to find something.

Arden Zane Oats. Sorry, thought that was in there.

Found this so far, think this is your guy.

Person:
Arden Z Oats
Level of Education: 3 years of college
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Birth:
Texas
Residence:
Place: Lubbock County, Texas

Branch:
Army
Enlistment Date:
12 Jan 1942
Army Branch:
Air Corps
Army Serial Number:
Enlistment Place:
Sheppard Field Witchita Falls Texas
Enlistment Term:
Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Farm hands, general farms
Race or Ethnicity:
White
Source Information:
Box Number: 0274
Film Reel Number: 2.131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back