Here's a site for all you RA buffs out there! (All 2 of em) (1 Viewer)

Who here is actually interested in the RA?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
http://www.pacmodels.com/

You gotta check this out, a site practically dedicated to Italian war aspects. There are several die-cast models and kits of Italian planes, and also books about them. I came across a book dedicated to the SM.82...Theres a P.108 one on there as well which I might be tempted to order. :D The models are a bit pricey though...from the pictures i've seen though they look good. However its all in US dollars so for Kiwimac and I (who AFAIK are the only people who are interested in this) ordering could be tricky. Well worth a look if you're after the unusual though. 8)

I have affixed a random poll to this thread also, I am curious. :D

Speaking of models...

Any tips?

Going to acquire a Revell 1:48 (I think, might be 1:32) Sr-71 Blackbird ($17.49) and a Testors finishing kit ($17.99-luckily for me, it has all the paints and tools I need with the exception of orange for the [space] suits and gunmetal for the landing gear, among other things...)...

Any hints for a first-timer?

I am getting a Blackbird because...

a)I like the plane

b)Not many small parts (fuselage itself is only two parts!)

c)Easy to paint-Minimal markings already modeled in black

d)The paint kist has all colors I need with the exception of two, saving moo-lah...

I was gonna get a Mustang, but too much painting...

I saw an airbrush today for $7.99, was thinking of using it for outlines, among other things...

Will the spray ruin the body? (10-15 psi only)

Anything I should do in preparation?

Once I get a digital camera (Hopefully a Konica-Minolta Dimage Z1 http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_Product_Pages/DiMAGE_Z1 [$259.99]...), I'll post pics of its progress and such...

Ive never built a revell kit, but everyone I know who has made one has told me how bad they are...Dunno if you have airfix in USA, but use those if you do...

A good model to begin with is the Stuka I would say, its easy enough to get you going but challenging enough to keep you interested. I started with in and im moderately proud :D

Cant help with any of the other stuff, Good Luck though :D 8)

What is so bad about Revell?

I would try a 1:72 Testors Dauntless, Corsair, or Mustang, but more parts and painting, as well as more paints.

Rather start easy.

Model is this one here: http://www.revell-monogram.com/stor...3&ScaleId=13&TypeId=0&StartRow=1&FromSearch=1

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it comes with the D-21 drone pictured; can be mounted in the launch position on the aircraft's back, or on a transport cart, as pictured.

8)

I don't have anything to say against Revell-Monogram... I made one of their model once, a P-40, it was not bad... Until I painted it ! (In that time, I didn't know about the "paint before assembly" thing.

If it's your first model, I have two things to tell you...

1 - When you'll fix the canopy, be careful with the glue ! (It has the bad habit to make the glass looks weird (like if it was frozen). And you can't do anything to repair that.)

2 - Concerning painting, don't worry if you don't have all the colors needed. Just try to make your model looks realistic. For example, when I painted my Spitfire Mk. IX, it was told to paint the top with green and blue camo and the underside in grey. Like I didn't had flat blue, I painted it in two colors : green for the top, and grey for the underside.

I dont know what is bad about revell, you'll have to ask the lanc...

I never paint before assembly ;) i knew i could, but i still dont...

I know what you mean about the canopy thing Maestro, my SM.79 has gone like that :(

I have some experience, didn't do too shabby...

I once tried and about half-way completed a 1:72 (I think) Drop-Top C5 'Vette.

I stopped after (for no real reason) I was on my bed (awesome place to work, eh? ;) ) and spilled the paint on the mattress on account of the bed shaking...

Mum got pissed so I stopped...

It was looking pretty ok, especially for a shaky-handed person. (Not too shaky)

Won't thinner work on "glass," though?

If not, I can always sand it off if I do mess up...

But for all this I need forty-bloody-dollars!

It gets worse. The lanc is gonna spend about £350 on models that most of which hes already made! and thats before he buys paints/glue etc ;) And at lunch he sits and works out how many shelves he will need, and whats going to go where on the shelves. Today he brought in the instruction leaflets and wrote down all the paints he needs.

Overkill if you ask me...

cheddar cheese said:
It gets worse. The lanc is gonna spend about £350 on models that most of which hes already made! and thats before he buys paints/glue etc ;) And at lunch he sits and works out how many shelves he will need, and whats going to go where on the shelves. Today he brought in the instruction leaflets and wrote down all the paints he needs.

Overkill if you ask me...

I was bored, so I got this...

350.00 GBP = 642.341 USD

1 GBP = 1.83526 USD 1 USD = 0.544882 GBP

From here: http://www.xe.com/

That's a LOT of moo-lah...

And he still wants to have a dig. camera, eh?

I can see why he doesn't have one - spending on other stuff.

Oh yeah, speaking of my Blackbird, I saw one today as a static display at the California ScienCenter/Air and Space Gallery, along with some space capsules, an F-20 Tigershark, a Bell 47, a T-38 Talon...

Oh, yeah, get this - THE BLACKBIRD WAS A TWO SEATER!

An A-12, I believe, judging from the aluminum on black paintscheme it had...

*EDIT*~It was the A-12, and the only two-seater ever produced...

Pics and info of it here: http://www.casciencectr.org/Exhibits/AirAndSpace/AirAndAircraft/A12/A12.php

wow, someone doing 3 posts in a row that arent the same, never seen that before ;)

Yeah I know, the lanc could buy a well good camera with £350, but hed rather re-buy his models...

Good luck with the modelling mate 8)

IT WAS AN A-12.

The A-12 is an early development o the Sr-71, originally a single-seater...

They made 20-something A-12 single-seaters and ONE A-12 two seater.

Later came the Sr-71, improved, and this time for the USAF, not the CIA.

The Sr-71 was always two-seated.

I put emphasis on the seats because what I saw was indeed a "Blackbird," but was NOT an Sr-71.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back