Hitler's last surviving body guard (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
BERLIN (Reuters) – More than 65 years after World War Two, Adolf Hitler's last surviving bodyguard says that he can no longer respond to the continuous deluge of fan mail he receives from around the world, because of his advanced age.

Rochus Misch is 93 and uses a walking frame to move around his apartment. He told the Berliner Kurier tabloid that, with most of the letters he receives asking for autographs, it was "no longer possible" to reply because of his age.

"They (letters) come from Korea, from Knoxville, Tennessee, from Finland and Iceland -- and not one has a bad word to say," said Misch, who is believed to be the last man alive to have seen Hitler and other top-ranking Nazis in the flesh.

In the past Misch used to send fans autographed copies of wartime photos of himself in a neatly pressed SS uniform. Now the incoming fan mail, including letters and packages, piles up in his flat in south Berlin's leafy Rudow neighborhood.

Misch also served as Hitler's telephone operator and courier. His memoirs, "The Last Witness," were published in 2008 in Germany and are in the works to become a feature film.

Attachments

• r1593382687.jpg
    r1593382687.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 184
Good question Messy.

On the one hand, he is a piece of walking history. Like Adler said, the answers this man knows about so many questions.

On the other hand, being in the SS and associated with Hitler, etc, etc.

I just have mixed feelings I guess. Wonder everyone else's opinions. The history he was privy too is priceless, I agree with that. Just not sure about his connection with Hitler, the SS, etc.

I guess maybe him sending out autographed pictures of him in his SS uniform is a little on the wrong side of right.

I just have mixed feelings I guess. Wonder everyone else's opinions. The history he was privy too is priceless, I agree with that. Just not sure about his connection with Hitler, the SS, etc.

But you don't get one without the other. His history is Hitler and the SS.

I would (I'm sure most of us would) LOVE to talk to him. For me, the only autograph I would want from him is to autograph his book to me, as many people do for authors. As far as getting one with him in uniform....uh.....no.

I guess maybe him sending out autographed pictures of him in his SS uniform is a little on the wrong side of right.

I don't see any problem with that. I have several autographs of WW2 German soldiers, and I am sure my family has letters or other things that are signed by family members that were SS.

As a collector of Third Reich and other WW2 artifacts and uniforms and what not, I would kill to have any signature from any famous (infamous if you wish) WW2 personalities.

As far as getting one with him in uniform....uh.....no.

See I don't have a problem with that. I don't support or agree with the ideology of the Nazis but it is a piece of history. I have a Reschke signed photo of him in his uniform. Like I said it is history.

Last edited:
Agree with Adler on this one. Of course, it all depends on the reasons the person is asking for an autograph. If its some skinhead neo-Nazi piece of trash who wants something from someone personally associated with Hitler as the centerpiece of their little shrine, then I say mail the autograph...along with a homing beacon and a couple of Blackhawks full of Special Forces. If its someone who is generally interested in the history behind the autograph, someone wanting to know intimate details that the general world is not privy to (all those unanswered questions mentioned previously), so that the information is not lost or rewritten or desensitized....then I'd be one standing in line to listen to the stories this man has to tell, and to pick up an autographed photo. My question right now is, being that close to Hitler, he HAD to be a die-hard Nazi, tried, tested, and proven to have unquestioning loyalty...does he still hold to those ideals, or has he seen Nazism for what it really is? I know a lot of surviving Nazis were die-hard to the end, but IIRC most of them were located in Argentina.

Anyhoo...'nuff rambling. Gonna go look for the book on Amazon.

German version: Amazon.com: Der letzte Zeuge (9783866121942): Rochus Misch: Books

Found a movie: Amazon.com: The Last Witness: Movies TV

Dang....wife's calling. Will continue to search for an English version later.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back