HMS Manxman myth? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vinnye

Senior Airman
Dec 28, 2009
Barnsley, UK
During some reading around WW2 Light Cruisers, I came across a reference to HMS Manxman.
I knew that she had served in the Med during the War, but did not know what happened to her post War.
I found this in Wiki ;

In 1956, she was deployed for headquarters duties during the Suez operation. A story - or legend - has grown that, during the Suez Crisis of 1956, Manxman outran an American Carrier Group. Manxman reportedly shadowed them; the US Admiral increased speed, eventually to over thirty knots - and then Manxman swept past at full speed, showing the signal "See you in Egypt". It is far from clear whether this episode happened; 'knowledge' about it was common in the Merchant Navy of the 1970s.

Does anyone know of any other sources that can confirm / refute this?

During some reading around WW2 Light Cruisers, I came across a reference to HMS Manxman.
I knew that she had served in the Med during the War, but did not know what happened to her post War.
I found this in Wiki ;

In 1956, she was deployed for headquarters duties during the Suez operation. A story - or legend - has grown that, during the Suez Crisis of 1956, Manxman outran an American Carrier Group. Manxman reportedly shadowed them; the US Admiral increased speed, eventually to over thirty knots - and then Manxman swept past at full speed, showing the signal "See you in Egypt". It is far from clear whether this episode happened; 'knowledge' about it was common in the Merchant Navy of the 1970s.

Does anyone know of any other sources that can confirm / refute this?
It might be a fable, but the HMS Manxman was there and she was capable of a top speed of 38 knots.

On navy dot net in a thread about RN's fastest ship i found this ;

I spent a short time on Manxman whilst waiting to join Antrim(still building in John Brown's, Glasgow at the time, 1970). Manxman was Dartmouth training ship at the time and I can remember a big flash plaque on board proclaiming that she was the Navy's fastest ever warship at 43 knots.

Now that's quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back