Hobby Boss 1/72 F4F3 Wildcat Paint question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
I purchased this kit and was underwhelmed as soon as I opened the box. There wasn't much too it, but I guess that's why it's called an "easy build".

My question is related to the white stripes on the aft fuselage and the wings, no decals were supplied for this portion and I did my best to mask and paint the white stripes.

That portion turned out just fine, my problem began with the thin black outline. I did my best with a 0/10 brush, but it doesn't look good. I am trying to think of a more creative way to get these black outlines on without my shaky hand and had considered dipping some string in black paint and applying it that way. Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• F4F3 Wildcat.jpg
    F4F3 Wildcat.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 149
It is quite easy to make my friend. Do you have a sheet of clear decal? If not , try to find a piece of decal sheet without any markings. The decal glue usually is applied overall a sheet. Having that paint it with a black paint. The gloss one would be better because it is more flexible ( springy ) when dried. Then you can cut off a thin strips you need. Just remember about using quite long piece of decal sheet for taking these strips. Simply applying of short band pieces is tiring.

Also you can mask the white bands and the yellow areas with masking tape. Just leave a gap between them of the strip width. Then paint the gaps black.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back