Hobby Boss 1/72 F4F3 Wildcat Paint question

Discussion in 'Painting Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks' started by copcheck, Apr 21, 2011.

1. copcheck

copcheck Member

I purchased this kit and was underwhelmed as soon as I opened the box. There wasn't much too it, but I guess that's why it's called an "easy build".

My question is related to the white stripes on the aft fuselage and the wings, no decals were supplied for this portion and I did my best to mask and paint the white stripes.

That portion turned out just fine, my problem began with the thin black outline. I did my best with a 0/10 brush, but it doesn't look good. I am trying to think of a more creative way to get these black outlines on without my shaky hand and had considered dipping some string in black paint and applying it that way. Any other thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    #2 Wurger, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    It is quite easy to make my friend. Do you have a sheet of clear decal? If not , try to find a piece of decal sheet without any markings. The decal glue usually is applied overall a sheet. Having that paint it with a black paint. The gloss one would be better because it is more flexible ( springy ) when dried. Then you can cut off a thin strips you need. Just remember about using quite long piece of decal sheet for taking these strips. Simply applying of short band pieces is tiring.

Also you can mask the white bands and the yellow areas with masking tape. Just leave a gap between them of the strip width. Then paint the gaps black.

3. copcheck

copcheck Member

Brilliant!

Thank you

4. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    You'r welcome. :)