Hollywood presents WWII. Films that grind your gears. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually, I suggest to anyone, reading about the Von Trapps...the Baron was actually a kind and gentle person, in addition, he was an accomplished and respected Austrian Navy sub commander in WWI and the Germans really tried to get him to join the Kreigsmarine U-Boat operations. The Nun (Maria) played by Julie Andrews was prone to temper tantrums. They didn't escape the Nazis running to the Swiss alps, they took a train to Italy and left for the U.S. by way of England. There were 10 kids instead of 7 (and switched genders around to suite the movie) and all sorts of interesting things that the movie ommitted or changed.

Always liked Kate's dad Richard. Superb in "Porridge" and died way too young. Richard's father was half Burmese which makes the lovely Kate......errrr....a bit Burmese.
Cheers
Steve

Out of our timescale but we watched Master and Commander The Far Side of the World again last night. Great picture of life at sea though the real HMS Surprise wouldnt have been so roomy below deck.

Out of our timescale but we watched Master and Commander The Far Side of the World again last night. Great picture of life at sea though the real HMS Surprise wouldnt have been so roomy below deck.

Another great movie that care was taken to try to "get it right". Love that film. I have the DVD right next to "Moby Dick" by John Huston. Awesome!

I finally joined netflix since nothing hardly ever shows up on TV.So my first choice was "Winds of War" some nostalgia from my childhood but do not remember it being that long so I probably never watched it all.So far it's OK and it is a HWood movie witha romantic backdrop but did find that some of the info about how WWII got rolling or lets say how some in the German high command really did not want and knew a second front would open up.I found this part of the movie interesting when Robert Mitchum and wife were crossing the Atlantic on a German Liner and Mitchum was having a conversation with a British attache' .My shorthand of the script so about 95% the exchange from the Brit.... "Fuher bore I been watching him since the day he marched into Austria.Someting right out Putara Zero ( :dontknow: ) of a man with no schooling and no known family with 20 years a dropout student a chump of a failure"....... :-k I could almost think he was talking about someone today..........

There used to be a lot of really great wartime based drama on the tv during the 70's and 80's, things like Colditz, Secret Army and Enemy at the Door were all classics. Another series titled We'll Meet Again was also pretty good and would probably be well liked by those interested in 8th Air Force even today.

There used to be a lot of really great wartime based drama on the tv during the 70's and 80's, things like Colditz, Secret Army and Enemy at the Door were all classics. Another series titled We'll Meet Again was also pretty good and would probably be well liked by those interested in 8th Air Force even today.

Don't forget "Danger UXB" - loved that series!!!

Some of the TV shows that did well as far as decent storyline, action and relatively decent (accurate) props were Combat! and 12 O'clock High...they did over-use military archive footage but that can be overlooked because they were TV shows and didn't have massive budgets.

Rat Patrol was pretty good, too.

As a kid, I was a huge fan of both Combat and !2 O'Clock High. A local tv station that specializes in rerunning old TV shows features them both, and I've been having a good time recording and watching them again.

I don't think that Combat or 12 O'clock High was on the tele in England, were they old black and whites from the 60's? We did get Hogan's Hero's though, I think there is talk of making this into a film which is maybe not such a good idea with all of todays political correctness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back