Homare radial confusion?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, Aurum.

I now understand that it is not so easy to research the development history of Nakajima and Mitsubishi aircraft engines.
I'll just read those volumes of history book on Nakajima and Mitsubishi first and then please let me answer
your question.

Thanks for your attention.
If you find new data do not hesitate to share it, please.
I can share the data I have with you and could send it if you like.
4) What do you know about H-70-74? What was the base of these designs(as i understand they shoul be based on some V12 project)? Did Mitsubishi produced some of Hispano-Suiza (Ha-2 type 93 (if it has army production marking, it should be in serial production)) engines? Why did they stop?

As I said earlier, the Homare looks to be a very interesting design that could have gone far, except for being on the losing side of WWII. The title "Engine of Tragedy, Homare" looks very interesting. If an English translation was offered, I would surely add it to my library.

Piper106

Hi, Aurum.

Mitsubishi home site

Ha-2 type 93
This is a Q&A site for the local military fan.
Please check No.351

351 : Sleepy Person <> GQikaJHtf2 [Sage] : 04/01/25 00:35 ID :. In 1919, the Mitsubishi Engine Manufacturing Co Ltd tied up with HISUPANOSUIZA of France, and
started engine manufacturing 200H.P to 300H.P. of 8 cylinders of water-cooled V models for the navy and the army. It is mentioned why having chosen this engine was the weight as lightest as 1kg per horsepower to that the latest technology of those days. Henceforth, although License production of the various engines (300H.P., 400H.P., 450H.P., and 650H.P.) was carried out, the unreasonableness on the structure accompanying highly-efficient-izing curses, and faults were occurring one after another. Although based on this experience and the diesel of Junkers, B1 engine was manufactured and served as a type
93 water-cooled V type 12 cylinders 700H.P. engine, trend had moved to air cooling type after all.

Although Nakajima tied up with French Lorraine in 1924 and tried to manufacture by purchasing
License of a Lorraine 450H.P. water-cooled V type 12-cylinder engine, the navy purchased License of 12 cylinders of Lorraine 400H.P. V type water-cooled engine in the previous year, and Nakajima was ordered to perform domestic production. However, the navy purchased License of the 450H.P. engine of 12 cylinders of W models later, and 400H.P. was canceled. Nakajima, Aichi, and Hiro Arsenal were ordered to take place this 450H.P. production. Nakajima -- in 1926 -- a water-cooled W type -- although NWA which was an 18-cylinder 1000H.P. engine was made as an experiment, a long forge material was unable to be made in Japan and was purchased from Britain -- Magneto was supplied from Switzerland and the piston was borrowing from Nakajima Jupiter --. Then, although NWB which took the example to KESUTORERU of Rolls Royce, NWD which similarly took the example to BAZADO, etc. were manufactured by the naval trial production demand, neither had resulted in mass production. In addition, although Hiro Arsenal was developing, after that, the various motors such as type 9O and 91 of 12 cylinders of water-cooled W models and type 94 of 18 cylinders of water-cooled W models into which the Lorraine engine was developed uniquely, the trial production for the aircrafts took the considerable period when trouble happened on all engines except type 91.

Hi, Piper106.
Thanks for your post!

Translation is always a hard work.
I now start the engine history from Nakajima(threa is here - http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/engines/data-base-japanese-aircraft-engines-19466.html ) ,then will go to Mitsubishi and return to Homare of Nakajima again.
Thanks for your interest for the Japanese engines.

Here are more testimonies about aircraft development by the former engineers.
I cannot promise but will try to introduce them in the future.

In my old memory of reading one of them, main wing design of Kawanishi aircrafts were referred to the wing catalogue of Vickers, U.K.

You have the skills to translate. Contact the publishers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back